SpeedyErica
Newly Registered

Flowering Shrub ID help?

Hello all! I am new to this forum and to gardening as well; and am in need of a little help. I have just come across the most beautiful flowering shrub I have ever seen but I have no idea what it is. The shrub itself is a good 7 feet tall and had many lilac coloured flowering cascades hanging from it. Any help in identifying what plant this is would be so greatly appreciated! Here are a few pictures:

[img]https://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/SpeedyErica/IMG_0200.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/SpeedyErica/IMG_0204.jpg[/img]

Thanks so much everyone!

Erica

SpeedyErica
Newly Registered

forgot to add that I am in Kitchener, Ontario Canada and I live in zone 5a. ( I think, I'm still new to all this)

Thanks everyone!

Erica

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Speedy :D

Is this growing against a wall or is it out in the garden?

It is a Wisteria but if as you say it is a 7ft shrub as opposed to grown as a climber against a wall then you are very fortunate to have inherited it.

Sometimes with a lot of patience and time (or loads of money if bought like this) they can be trained into a tree shape with a twisted trunk and arching branches like a fountain of blooms. Completely gorgeous and I am very jealous if this is in fact what you have.

SpeedyErica
Newly Registered

unfortunately, it isn't freestanding, its along a fence, but it is still beautiful and I am happy I have it!
Erica

Jess
Greener Thumb

SpeedyErica wrote:unfortunately, it isn't freestanding, its along a fence, but it is still beautiful and I am happy I have it!
Erica
You may want to check out some info on the web Erica about pruning it. It needs to be pruned in a particular way to ensure maximum number of blooms. I agree about it being beautiful. One of the best climbers out there.

SpeedyErica
Newly Registered

cool Thanks Jess I will definitely check that out. I inspected it a little better this morning (we just moved into this rental property) and it is in fact a vine and not a shrub. I think it is way too far gone to train it to be freestanding, but I found some pictures of freestanding wisterias and they are beautiful!

Erica

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”