HonoluluGirl

Rooting hormone

Do any of you use rooting hormone?

I bought a rooting powder a while ago (active ingredient is Indole-3-butyric acid 0.1%) but haven't used it yet because of the warning printed on the inside of the label. You have to peel the label off, and the directions (and hazard warning) are on the inside. If I had known of the hazard I wouldn't have bought it but the warning was hidden, and I didn't peel the label until I got home. I wanted to use it to propagate my bell peppers and roses.

Here's the warning: "HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS. Causes eye irritation. Harmful if inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Aviod contact with skin,eyes, or clothing. Avoid breathing dust. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Users should wash hands before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco, or using the toilet.

There's a section on ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS, and how to prevent the product from contaminating water.

There's a first aid section that tells you what to do if product gets in eyes, is swallowed, inhaled, or gets on skin or clothing.

In the directions, it says DO NOT USE ON PLANTS INTENDED FOR FOOD OR FEED. Darn.

[img]https://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r634/TemporaryPerson/001.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Why not take it back to where you bought it, and get your money back? A willow twig placed in the water along with the cutting can enhance rooting. There are other organic methods, as well. :)

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

the rooting hormone I use I get is made by a company called xtreme-gardening it is called Azos. Azos is a beneficial microbe that fixes atmospheric nitrogen and converts it into a plant-available form of nitrogen. Use Azos to naturally promote and sustain plant nutrition and as a rooting solution for new cuttings. Its the best thing I have used to root anything.

rockhound

IBA is only harmful if you are careless and/or don't follow the instructions. Treat it like you would rat poison or something, in other words delicately. Mostly don't inhale it or scatter it around. It is just a concentrated form of a naturally-occurring plant hormone. Use it inside or in a greenhouse so the wind is not a factor. Wet the bottom of the cuttings,(but not dripping) dip in the powder container and place them in a hole you've already poked in the soil. Push the soil around the cutting. By the time the plant has matured, there won't be any IBA left on/in it anyway. Most every commercial plant propagating business uses it.

HonoluluGirl

Thanks all. I threw away the receipt so I can't return it. I don't think I've ever seen a willow tree around here... ha ha. I don't even know what it looks like. Rockhound, I was thinking of propagating some pepper plants by leaving the stems in a cup of water until roots form. Then I could wash off the IBA before I planted it. Do you think that's ok, even though the instructions say not to use it on food plants? Do commercial growers use this on food plants also? Thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”