sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

So mad at the SVB!

I checked DAILY for eggs. Me and my daughter both checked. Apparently we missed some and they bored in :( :( :(

Any way to get them out? I read before that you can make a slit and get them out and I also read to inject BT in there... but I tried BT once and it was unsuccessful. they just went in probably today or yesterday so they're probably teeny tiny. I've had enough grief with getting my garden to GROW... I can't lose these, UGH!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would try to get them out. The instructions I've seen here on THG described using a needle to puncture the larva, killing it. The instructions also tell how to find the exact location of the larva in the stem.

I'm sure you can find the past discussions using the Forum Search Function. If you would like one or more of us to help with the forum search, we will be glad to assist you. :)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

REALLY? there is a tutorial of sorts? for real? that is fabulous! and how come I haven't come across it before? hmmm..... I think it should be a sticky. :) :) enough people have problems with the darn things LOL!!!

any idea what the title might be?

those eggs are small though, do you think I'll be able to see the borers at the tiny size they are right now? they just bored in within the last 2 days I believe. some don't even have frass yet because they just went in.
Last edited by sheeshshe on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

this might be better than what I planned on doing LOL!!!! I was going to go out there with a drill and drill bit, drill a little hole much above the frass, and just inject that puppy with BT as high as I can put it LOL!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

This is one of the best articles about the SVB that I saw offered in previous discussions here.

https://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef314.asp

I'll continue to search for more as I have time. I'm sure other members will pitch in as they are able, too.

Bt probably offers good control, although I have read that you have to buy the right species to be really successful. Nematodes might be useful, too, but again, you probably have to buy the right ones.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Thanks! I have thuricide? Not sure if it is the right species or whatnot. I know on gardens alive it said thuricide is the BTK one, but it doesn't say BTK on the bottle?? perhaps that is why it didnt work when I injected it before?

I did a search on the forum. I'm thinking I"m going to do some injecting since there are just 1 hole in each plant, and they're still tiny... so I think perhaps I can get em? should I do neem too? heck, what else can I squirt in there, LOL

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Here's another site I found that might have some beneficial information for you:

[url=https://www.michiganorganic.msu.edu/uploads/files/31/Squash%20bug%20and%20Squash%20Vine%20Borer%20Control.pdf]PDF from MSU[/url]

Control of SVB is not easy. Many of our very experienced members have struggled with it over years and not found very effective controls. Just mulling some ideas over in my mind, I wonder if, at this very early stage of the borers entering the vine, it would do all that much harm to the plant just to cut off the infested stem. Do you think the plant would still produce plenty of fruit if you tried that? I don't grow squash anymore, because I really don't much care for them, so I can't test this on my own. Besides, I usually get all the squash I can use -- many times much more -- from my neighbors and friends. :roll:

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

well, my plants are behind :( the place that they bored in is near where the vine starts at its roots. DESPITE putting foil around it. they just went under it :( somehow.. not exactly sure how even! them things are smart!!! any insect that can outsmart a human is pretty darn smart in my book LOL!!!

I will keep trying though. I am a stubborn one. I don't quit or give up LOL!

Good article! that is good to know about the surround not really working. I thought about spraying that. Guess I won't waste my time on that next year. I planned on putting a row cover, but I couldn't find the materials in time :( I have most of the materials, I guess it is too late at this point :(

I will go out there this morning and try and get them out. If I can't, I will inject the BT in hopes that it works!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:well, my plants are behind :( the place that they bored in is near where the vine starts at its roots. DESPITE putting foil around it. they just went under it :( somehow.. not exactly sure how even! them things are smart!!! any insect that can outsmart a human is pretty darn smart in my book LOL!!!

I will keep trying though. I am a stubborn one. I don't quit or give up LOL!

Good article! that is good to know about the surround not really working. I thought about spraying that. Guess I won't waste my time on that next year. I planned on putting a row cover, but I couldn't find the materials in time :( I have most of the materials, I guess it is too late at this point :(

I will go out there this morning and try and get them out. If I can't, I will inject the BT in hopes that it works!
Now you're finding out why I get so frustrated each summer with zucchini and yellow crook neck squash. No matter what I tried, I'd get the SVB infestation and they'd wipe out my plants in a couple weeks.

I tried the foil method along with using pepper on the ground near the base of the plants etc. to no avail. It seem no amount of diligence on the gardeners part can stem their tide of they decide to attack. I feel your frustration.

Smallgardener

Wow if I had those things I would be mad too. We have plenty of other borers but we don't have those. Being myself I would use chemicals. I know some people are against it and I don't have a problem with that. Mos tof my problems in the garden are environmental. However I did have a big problem with leaf hoppers in my taters and they might as well killed them.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

yeah, this is year 3 of them :( :( :( I really thought I got all the eggs! they even got my cucumber plants! GRR. I'm getting ready to go out there with my defenses and see if I can tackle this before it gets worse!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah a lot of years I don't bother growing squash because of the vine borers. This year I'm trying them again, keeping dirt hilled up over the stems as much as I can. So far so good, but it is still early in the season, so I can't claim victory yet... see what happens.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Ok, so I just went out there with this sewing tool, which worked pretty well! I was able to 'scoop' out the little holes and get everything out of there. some I didn't see the borers and some I did. they were SUPER tiny. I got the one out of the cucumber plant, super small. And I think I saw 2 of the ones of the squash.. and the other 3, wasn't sure. But, I scooped it out good and then squirted the BT in all the holes that I made. Not sure if I need to wrap the stems where I dug?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Yeah a lot of years I don't bother growing squash because of the vine borers. This year I'm trying them again, keeping dirt hilled up over the stems as much as I can. So far so good, but it is still early in the season, so I can't claim victory yet... see what happens.
ya know, you're in warmer weather than I am right? I'd guess you'e probably in the clear :) but that is my guess :) I know it is a little early, but I was reading online that around july 4th they stop finally laying eggs. I have more eggs still, but I'll keep you updated when I stop finding them! what a pain,.

Smallgardener

Hormone traps are used for flying insects all the time. Can a person put up some traps and catch the adults when they are present and then treat for them?

applestar
Mod

I'm done fighting them. I'm ONLY growing C. moschata species of squash this year. Moschata's have solid stems and it's said that SVB's don't bother them.

I have Tromboncino for summer squash -- just harvested my first fruit this morning and am planning to put it in pasta sauce later -- and Seminole for Pumpkin/winter squash. Butternut is another one but I wanted to try something new. :wink:

There are quite are few varieties to try so I think I'll keep growing different ones if this year is successful. 8)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

so, I think I got em! No frass hehehhe!!! although I found more eggs that I either missed, or they layed more. but whatever. I WILL WIN THIS WAR! ROFL.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good luck with that! In my experience the SVB's always win in the end, but I probably haven't been as persistent.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I go out there at least once a day and check the entire plants over. granted my advantage this year is that my plants are much smaller than they should be :) so there is much less to check over :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”