sinclair1122
Newly Registered

Armenian Cucumber

So it's eary July and I'm finally seeing male flowers on my Armenian Cucumber plant. Anyone know when I will start seeing some female flowers?

I've posted some pictures/video on my blog if anyone has any suggestions...

https://myapartmentgarden.blogspot.com/2012/07/armenian-cucumber.html

Thanks!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum.

Can't say for sure on the blossoms, but I think you will have fruit soon. It is not a bit unusual to get flowers of only one gender at first. I have some zucchini that had only female flowers. They apparently got pollen from some of the other squash in the garden as the fruit is developing. A couple more days and I will get my first zucchini for this year.

sinclair1122
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply! I'll stay patient and update as soon as I see some fruit!

luvthesnapper

The same thing is going on with my cucumbers. Nothing but male flowers, and a ton of them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just relax!! I looked back and we have had at least ten separate threads THIS season from people saying their cucurbit plant (squash, melon, pumpkin, cucumber) is producing only one gender of flower (usually only male, but not always). OR saying the blossoms or baby fruit are dropping off, not understanding the separate genders/ pollination issues.

It is what they do. Produce single gender flowers for the first couple weeks or so. By the time they produce both genders, the bees and other pollinators have been alerted and are ready.

Just let Nature do her thing!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”