sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

LOOKIE!

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd229/sheeshshe/005-3.jpg[/img]

I DID IT! LOL, and I didn't even mean to/want to. BAH! I've been trying to grow radishes for SEVEN years. I try every year. I fail EVERY YEAR. I planted some this spring, they all went to seed, just like every other year. So, I planted some around my squash plants in hopes that when they flower, it will ward off bugs. So, what happens?? they made radishes! So, I can't grow radishes unless I'm actually trying not to grow radishes apparently LOL! I just can't believe this.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Congratulations!!

Not only to your success at growing them, but they are fantastic!!!!

Well done! :D

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Ha, well congrats first...

It sounds like you are generally planting a little too late if they are bolting that fast. I think the reason it worked for you under the squash is because the squash offered some shade and therefore a little bit cooler environment. ....Maybe?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

GardenRN wrote:Ha, well congrats first...

It sounds like you are generally planting a little too late if they are bolting that fast. I think the reason it worked for you under the squash is because the squash offered some shade and therefore a little bit cooler environment. ....Maybe?
quite the contrary actually! I planted the radishes in early spring and they bolted. I planted these in early summer and they didn't get any shade at all from the squash since the squash is still tiny. LOL It makes ZERO sense at all, really! even my lettuce hasn't bolted LOL

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My experience with radishes tells me that you can grow them about any time as long as you keep them damp. If they dry out they will bolt.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:My experience with radishes tells me that you can grow them about any time as long as you keep them damp. If they dry out they will bolt.
hmmm. that may be right. it has been SUPER rainy here, like rain every day. but, we had one dry week where I didn't water it becuase well, we kind of got 7 inches the week before LOL! it was a dry and hot week, and I didn't water it. I think that was the week they bolted. :)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:My experience with radishes tells me that you can grow them about any time as long as you keep them damp. If they dry out they will bolt.
hmmm. that may be right. it has been SUPER rainy here, like rain every day. but, we had one dry week where I didn't water it becuase well, we kind of got 7 inches the week before LOL! it was a dry and hot week, and I didn't water it. I think that was the week they bolted. :)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Maybe the moisture is the key then :) Either way, congrats on the success and not giving up on em! :clap: :clap:

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

GardenRN wrote:Maybe the moisture is the key then :) Either way, congrats on the success and not giving up on em! :clap: :clap:
I'm stubborn like that LOL. :)

soil
Greener Thumb

I had the same problem with carrots, couldn't grow a good carrot if I tried my best. One day I gave up, had about 100 extra carrot seeds. So I just tossed them out into my orchard. Low and behold next summer I was eating delicious carrots. Lesson is sometimes you need to let the plant be the plant and not your child.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

that is super funny! I never have babies the radishes though, I don't' really do anything to them since they never grow for me haha. maybe the first 2 years of trying I put forth effort. LOL. after that I was all, eh whatever. But I toss em in regardless. I figured it was my soil being too acidic. maybe the place I put the squash was where I put more lime, no idea!

gardenvt
Green Thumb

This is my first year getting radishes and carrots. I have only tried a few other years but I do think water is the trick.

It is rewarding when you get a harvest from the seeds you start yourself.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”