miagardener

Morning glories NOT flowering?

I had tons of morning glories that were flowering like mad, then my landscaper cut the bottoms of the vines while he was mowing the lawn and they died off, but I had tons of seeds, so I replanted them. I have some big, beautiful morning glory vines & leaves but NO FLOWERS, no BUDS, nothing! What's going on?
There aren't vines that look just like morning glories but don't produce flowers, are there? However, I'm sure these are morning glories because I literally took the seeds right out of the pods, planted them directly into the ground and this is what has grown from it. This is happening in the front and back yard too. Same spot, same conditions, I don't get it. HELP PLEASE! Thanks.

P.S. Still have some of my original morning glories flowering just fine, I'm so confused!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So for the lawn mower to cut the vines off, they have to be at least right next to the lawn, right? And you fertilize your lawn?

Sounds like too much nitrogen. Lawn fertilizer is high nitrogen, because for lawn you don't care about flowering, just "leaf" growth. So lots of nitrogen leads to a big leafy plant at the expense of flowering.

You can add some bloom booster type fertilizer, some of the 10-30-10 type stuff if you use synthetic ferts. You want something with the middle number (the P in NPK) as high as you can find and the first number (the N or nitrogen) as low as possible. Or you can just add bone meal.

miagardener

No we don't fertilize the grass in the yard.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”