sixboots

Violent storm last night. Need urgent advice.

Hello again. Last night we had a violent storm pass through (winds up to 80mph). While the damage to our property and garden could've been worse, I did, possibly, lose all of my corn. Now, I only have about 10 stalks, but was still looking forward to it.

All of the corn was lying on its side. The roots of the tallest stalks are visible, and, although not completely severed, are only 2 inches or so long. I am thinking about putting some type of support next to each one and stand them back up, and put a little mite soil around them. I have some ears that were probably a week our two from being ready to harvest, some that were a few weeks from being ready.

My question is this: do you think they are salvageable, or should I harvest the ones that were almost ready, and expect the others to die?

Also, my tomato plants, while still rooted, were blown partially over, my trellis having been destroyed. I'm thinking that they will be okay. Any ideas about what to look for regarding them as well?

We're all safe, so I'm thankful, but... my poor garden.

Oh, I need to add, that like a lot of the country, it's been near 100° for the last couple of days, and will be today as well.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Tilt them back up, support them with broomsticks or some similar, and bury the roots about twice as deep as you think would be necessary. Then give them a vigorous root-soaking watering (avoid the leaves if possible).

This is the method used up here in the highlands when we get windstorms (we get 100+ kph winds when the seasons change), and about 90% of the corn pulls through at least enough to ripen the cobs.

If you do have plants that go cakk on you without fully ripening, you can always pickle the baby corns in light brine..... It's not a total write-off that way.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

For Americans who might not know,

100 kph = 65 mph, more or less, so pretty severe wind!

And these storms seem to have covered most of the eastern HALF of the United States. :shock:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

luvthesnapper

Yup. Got another one last night in southern delaware. Didn't get the wind, but up the road about 20 miles got 80 mph gusts.

These aren't your normal thunderstorms either. We haven't had storms like this in the 24 years I've lived here.

sixboots

So does everyone echo lorax's sentiments... that I should be able to save my corn? Thanks for all of your help!

sixboots

So does everyone echo lorax's sentiments... that I should be able to save my corn? Thanks for all of your help!

luvthesnapper

I think you should get them back upright as stated, then see what happens. They'll let you know if they're going to make it or not. If they didn't snap clean off, then you have a chance, yes.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Something you can do with your plants is do a google image search for: "Florida weave" tomatoes.

Find a drawing rather than a photograph. It should be easier to see and understand.

Of course, you are talking about corn but the technique is the same - tall stakes frequently along the row with twine woven around stakes and plants.

Yes, you can pull corn plants upright and they will regrow roots.

Steve

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I agree w/ Lorax....just put it upright. I use everything from stakes to tiki torches to broomstick handles when they get blown over. Pretty soon they'll grow roots to stabilize themselves.

sixboots

Thanks everyone! I bought since bamboo and stakes each stalk with twine. I've only got a handful of stalks.

Apologies for the double post. Only internet I have is my phone, and it's been going in and out of service due to the power outages. 70% of my county is without power... must everyone I know except me!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”