vleighl
Newly Registered

Cedar Apple Rust Treated w/ Immunox Recover by Next Season?

I am an extremely new gardener, and thought I could tackle an apple tree. We planted it about 1-2 months ago, and it's done well, apples looked good. It's a 2 year old tree. Recently, I started noticing yellowish/brown spots on the leaves and after much googling believe it to be Cedar Apple Rust. After researching, I've ordered some Immunox to spray it with.

The apples are now starting to look yuck, and I assume at this point no new ones will be coming correct?

If I treat this with the spray, is there hope the tree will recover next season? Should I be spraying it now, or wait until the off-season?

Any other advice about Cedar Apple Rust would be appreciated! Thanks!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Vieight.

As you correctly say...apples only flower and fruit once a year. so you will have to wait until next year for a new crop.
In the mean time you must continue to protect your tree,
The problem with most fungal deseases is that the chemicals we use against them....and I include the organic treatments here....have only a protective effect and are not curative.
So you have to get the spray onto the fresh growth as the season progresses so that it is protected from fresh spores landing on it. Your tree should be ok..but give it continual protection and start early next year as soon as you see the faintest hint of green from the new buds breaking in the spring.

vleighl
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice! Do you think I should spray it now and continue every couple weeks, or just wait until next Spring to start?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Start straight away....so that further spread is contained.

Return to “Apple Topics”