yardtender
Newly Registered

Creating a wisteria bonsai

I have a large, mature wisteria in my backyard, and I'd like to make a bonsai from one of its vines. I've read that wisteria bonsai that are grown from seed take about 10 years to blossom. Will a clipping from a mature wisteria blossom sooner?

Also, I'm trying to decide between air layering for new roots, or using a root-growing medium. Any suggestions, anecdotes or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ynot
Greener Thumb

yardtender,

Welcome to the forum :D

I am afraid I am not quite clear on a bit of your post, Perhaps you could clarify it for me.
I have a large, mature wisteria in my backyard, and I'd like to make a bonsai from one of its vines. I've read that wisteria bonsai that are grown from seed take about 10 years to blossom. Will a clipping from a mature wisteria blossom sooner?
Sooner? Nothing about being a cutting would make it bloom any sooner as far as I know. It is a mature tree already, A cutting from it should have mature foliage on it already if I understand the question correctly.
Also, I'm trying to decide between air layering for new roots, or using a root-growing medium. Any suggestions, anecdotes or insights would be appreciated.
Sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand the distinction your making here? Air layering IS using a root growing medium.... I don't follow this sorry. Wisteria do root easily.

A care sheet on Wisteria for you. https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Wisteria.html

Good luck

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Yardtender,
I've read that wisteria bonsai that are grown from seed take about 10 years to blossom. Will a clipping from a mature wisteria blossom sooner?
It is my understanding that the answer to your question is yes, a cutting from a mature vine will flower sooner than a seedling. I've lost a seedling grown plant this past winter, it was at least ten years old and never showed any sign of flowering so I only have experience with half of this equation.
I don't really understand this either. Are you making a distinction between layering and cuttings?

Ynot,
Nothing about being a cutting would make it bloom any sooner as far as I know.
It is a mature tree already, A cutting from it should have mature foliage on it already
These two statements appear somewhat contradictory to me, perhaps I am misunderstanding you. Since a cutting does, as you say, have mature wood it should flower sooner than a seedling. This, and the variability inherent with seedlings, is why some species such as Wisteria and Malus are not usually propagated by seed.

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Yardtender & Ynot,

A little further research seems to indicate that the primary reason to avoid seedlings from wisteria is the variability that I mentioned. A layered or cutting grown plant avoids this difficulty by maintaining identical genetics to the original, presumably superior, cultivar. So the answer to the question is to go with a cutting or a layer but the why is still a little unclear to me.

I know that with Malus, asexual reproduction can cut years from the time it takes to flower. This may also play some part with Wisteria as well.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Ah, Ok Gnome sorry for the confusion here, I am not sure where the seedling comparison comes in...As I didn't mention seedlings at all.:

This was the original question
yardtender wrote: I have a large, mature wisteria in my backyard, and I'd like to make a bonsai from one of its vines. I've read that wisteria bonsai that are grown from seed take about 10 years to blossom. Will a clipping from a mature wisteria blossom sooner?

ynot wrote:Nothing about being a cutting would make it bloom any sooner as far as I know.
[Perhaps my reply should have been 'Sooner than what?' ;) ] I understood YT to mean 'Sooner than the original donor of the cutting'

- [And if that is correct..] I do not see why the cutting would flower sooner, Later or any differently from the mother plant.
It is a mature tree already, A cutting from it should have mature foliage on it already

Gnome wrote:These two statements appear somewhat contradictory to me, perhaps I am misunderstanding you. Since a cutting does, as you say, have mature wood it should flower sooner than a seedling. This, and the variability inherent with seedlings, is why some species such as Wisteria and Malus are not usually propagated by seed.
Again I am not sure if this clears it up, But I did not mention seedlings at all. I agree the sentences in olive above are true, But it is also the first time seedlings has come up in this thread. I didn't get the impression YT was referring to saplings anywhere in the OP. I could be mistaken about this.

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ynot,
I am not sure where the seedling comparison comes in...As I didn't mention seedlings at all.:
No, you did not but the OP did and as you were responding to this question I assumed you were as well.
I've read that wisteria bonsai that are grown from seed take about 10 years to blossom. Will a clipping from a mature wisteria blossom sooner?
Perhaps my reply should have been 'Sooner than what?'
Yes, that might had avoided some confusion.
I do not see why the cutting would flower sooner, Later or any differently from the mother plant.
I agree, but I don't believe that was the question originally posted. No problem though.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

yardtender wrote:I have a large, mature wisteria in my backyard, and I'd like to make a bonsai from one of its vines. I've read that wisteria bonsai that are grown from seed take about 10 years to blossom. Will a clipping from a mature wisteria blossom sooner?
You're right Gnome, We were both attempting to answer the blue.

I see I interpreted the question incorrectly. :? Somehow, I did not connect the seed sentence to the question [Structure? & I missed it :oops:].

..Sorry for the confusion.:?

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ynot,
I see I interpreted the question incorrectly. Somehow, I did not connect the seed sentence to the question [Structure? & I missed it ].

..Sorry for the confusion.
Not a problem. Now that the question is better defined, I think, what do you know about the seedling VS cutting issue?

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Gnome wrote: Not a problem. Now that the question is better defined, I think, what do you know about the seedling VS cutting issue?
My understanding of this is that the cutting will retain the mature characteristics of the mother plant. [Not saying the foliage cannot revert. some more research is required.]

This would put it years ahead of the seedling wrt flowering.

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”