HonoluluGirl

How long does it take lychee seed to germinate?

I know it's better to grow a lychee seed from a cutting... I'm on a waiting list of this guy I found on craigslist that will have a Kaimana lychee tree ready in a month or so. Any way, meanwhile, my mom in law gave us some lychee she bought at the grocery store. After we ate them, I planted the seeds right away in a pot filled with coco coir. It's been oh around 3 weeks now and nothing has happened. I've kept it moist all this time. Wondering if they'll ever germinate. Has anybody tried growing a lychee from seed?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Never heard of lychee but if you don't let seeds dry out they never sprout.

HonoluluGirl

What do you mean? Dry the seeds before planting them? How long do you need to dry them? Thanks!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I just put my seeds out on a paper plate in the sun for 2 weeks. I do not recommend using store bought varieties though. Wait till you can get a real tree.

AlfresiaUK
Newly Registered

Are you sure the seed you planted is of a non-hybrid variety? Because the seeds of hybrid varieties do not yield fruit. Also, make sure you have planted your seed in organically rich, moist soil in a pH range of 5.5 to 6.5 and that it gets plenty of sunshine! :)

HonoluluGirl

Hi Alfresia,

Yeah, it could be a hybrid. I'm just playing around while I'm waiting for my craigslist seller to hurry up and make my tree! He's air layering it. ha ha.

Return to “All Other Fruit”