gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Hows your peppers doing?

Mine are not going anywhere. Several variety's all still very small. I started them with my first round of tomatoes. They are only 6 - 8 inches tall. Its been a weird year for certain crops.

luvthesnapper

Finally picking up. It seems like they sat there for weeks, before they started doing anything. They're just now starting to show pepper growth in the very center.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My plants are gorgeous, but the peppers are just coming off in a trickle. I think that cooler than normal temperatures, especially at night, are slowing down production.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

My hot pepper plants are about a foot and a half tall....the bell p eppers are barely a foot tall. They're not growing at all. Hot peppers have a good deal of fruit & flowers. The bells just one each. I think one has 2. Dunno what's up w/ them.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

70% of mine are doing nicely. The rest of them are about a foot tall with small peppers, and their leaves are turning yellow. I'm thinking it's a soil issue with them.

jnunez918

Once I got on a regular watering schedule they r doing great. I'm even getting orange and red.

DownriverGardener

It seems like each of my pepper plants are doing different.

I actually just harvested two sweet-yellow peppers off of my plant on Thurs, and the early-red bell peppers are finally starting to bud. That plant has two small little peppers.

Jalapeno plant is also budding, probably about a half-inch long tiny little green peppers.

Italian roasters are coming along slow, lots of flowers. Hope it starts budding this week.

Regardless - all of the foliage on all of the plants looks great! It's been a warm spring/early summer here. Lots of sun.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Most of mine are in pots. My 2 year old Serrano is going crazy and has ton of peppers. The bulgarian carrot is putting out a few peppers now. The others are flowering but a little short I wish they were taller. I got my plants in the pots and ground a little late and they were probably stunted a little cause they stayed in their starter pots a little too long. I am having issues in my garden too. My melons are not going as good as I'd like and same with the tomatoes.

bg
Cool Member

My ghost, habaneros and cayenne peppers are doing great. Producing plenty of peppers... so much in fact I don't know what to do with. The ghost peppers (2 plants) are about 5 feet tall and trying to grow taller... the habs (2 plants) are about 3.5-4 feet tall, the cayenne (1 plant) is about 2 feet or so.

My jalapeno and newly planted cajun bell (1 plant each) aren't doing as well, they're still small plants and I'll start pinching off the fruits to see if they'll start growing ;3

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with problems. Though I'm not happy others are having problems. Maybe they will all of the sudden turn on for us. kind of like somene flipped the switch today for the jap beetle to come on.

Good luck everyone. :mrgreen:

albucsfan
Cool Member

I think Alabama weather gets more credit than I do, planted starts this year as I let all my seeds freeze....
But I put in 2 plants each of anaheims, mild jalapeños, and regular bells,
They are all doing very well... Hip high and putting off lots lots of peppers.
Can't get a ripe tomato to save my life but picking half a dozen peppers per plant each week. Roasting & chopping anaheims for cooking with. :) still say the weather gets all the credit though!

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I have had my share of problems a freeze 3 weeks ago and pill bugs killing my tomatoes eating around the base of my tomatoes like a cut worm but bad enough to kill a bunch of them before I relized what was doing it...but the peppers are doing great
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/hunt-john/gardening/IMAG1871.jpg[/img]

dtlove129

I'm right there with all of you. My Jalapenos are varying in size, but are putting on fruit and some fruit looks like it will be harvested in a couple of weeks. Some of my bigger bell pepper plants still haven't put out fruit. I have 18 plants of like 4-5 varieties and they are all varying in size and production, but they all look healthy.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Some years my bell pepper plants just seem to sit, looking pretty but not maturing much fruit, until cooler weather of the fall sets in. This year mine are doing much better than that. But still there are no more than one or two full sized bells on any one plant. Because of low production and slow maturity, we keep harvesting green ones, and at this rate will be lucky to get in ripe red or yellow peppers. And while our jalapenos have been staying ahead of our needs, they are not producing nearly as much as last year. Don't know if we planted less jalapenos this year or not, but seems like about the same number of plants. Perhaps a couple of the larger fruited varieties are just not as productive as the smaller fruited varieties.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This seems to be a slow year for peppers for me, not sure why. Usually my pepper plants would be much bigger by now. Partly a bad attack of slugs early on, nearly destroyed a number of them. I have been treating with diatomaceous earth pretty regularly now and they are doing better. I don't know if it is just that.

My back garden gets shadier every year. I have GOT to take down a few more trees, but that's a big job and hard to have time for.

mattie g
Green Thumb

It seems like my bells have barely grown in the 2+ months they've been in the ground. I understand slow growth early on, but they haven't realy picked up at all as the weather warmed; however, a couple plants got eaten up by slugs back in early to mid May, which I'm sure didn't help them get growing. My jalaenos and serranos have been starting to pick up though, and I'm starting to get flowers on them. I've had a lot of luck with hot peppers before, so I wouldn't be surprised if they turn it on in the next 2-3 weeks.

I absolutely love bell peppers, but they just don't produce for me as I'd like. Might be time to start thinking of making better use of my limited gardening space.

applestar
Mod

I have some peppers that still need to be planted in the ground and they are getting stressed. Some of these were badly damaged by 4lined plant bugs early on.

But the Golden summer hybrid bell and Ancho Poblano that I did plant on schedule in those window boxes I posted earlier are doing really great. Lots of fruits, and I just thinned some by picking them green. Contrast of the dark green and light green fruits are looking really nice. These containers get the hottest mid morning to mid afternoon sun, but are shaded in the earlier morning by trees (dappled) and in the later afternoon by the house (solid). They seem to be happy with it. Same varieties I planted in the ground are getting a bit crowded but are also doing well -- although it seems like they are not quite as vigorous as the container plants. I should weed that bed. The shelling peas are just about finished along the back and when they are, I'll cut them down as mulch and plant shorter pole beans (there's a name for this category but I can't remember -- is it 1/2 pole? Hmm...)

jpaulwhite
Newly Registered

mattie g wrote:It seems like my bells have barely grown in the 2+ months they've been in the ground. I understand slow growth early on, but they haven't realy picked up at all as the weather warmed; however, a couple plants got eaten up by slugs back in early to mid May, which I'm sure didn't help them get growing. My jalaenos and serranos have been starting to pick up though, and I'm starting to get flowers on them. I've had a lot of luck with hot peppers before, so I wouldn't be surprised if they turn it on in the next 2-3 weeks.

I absolutely love bell peppers, but they just don't produce for me as I'd like. Might be time to start thinking of making better use of my limited gardening space.
I just planted my peppers June 1st. I have two small jalepeno fruits and 2 small green peppers. Not sure if the green peppers are ripe. All my plants are under a foot. I planted half on June 1st, and I have a bunch of seedlings that are currently about 4 inches tall. I plan on growing those till they're a foot then setting those out. Here's a link to my garden https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... cfe2875179 I'm in Northern VA too! Baileyscrossroads

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

dustyrivergardens wrote:I have had my share of problems a freeze 3 weeks ago and pill bugs killing my tomatoes eating around the base of my tomatoes like a cut worm but bad enough to kill a bunch of them before I realized what was doing it...but the peppers are doing great
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/hunt-john/gardening/IMAG1871.jpg[/img]
There you go Someone doing great, congrats Dusty. I see some of you others are as well.

I also see some with certain variety's doing great and others not so great. That's my concern ALL of mine are doing bad from different variety's from all over the globe, they are all the same. Very small, maybe I will take pics of them later. Really I'm too embarrassed to take pics.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

That is to bad, what do you think is the reason for all the problems ? weather insects ?

Tonio
Green Thumb

My chile peppers are doing so so, thin walled fruit (less than expectations) and inferior foliage. I may have pulled a few early, but the cool late May/ early June put a damper on most plants.
Poblano & pasilla bajio- some cinnamon basil, green onions tucked in my chile patch.
[url=https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/ttonio/IMG_0850.jpg][img]https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/ttonio/th_IMG_0850.jpg[/img][/url]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”