luvthesnapper

Do I Really Need Pickling Salt?

I have a ton of Kosher salt, and I was wondering what the difference is between it, and pickling salt. According to the boxes I've read, it's just salt.
Last edited by luvthesnapper on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

"pickling salt, .... is free of the additives that turn pickles dark and the pickling liquid cloudy"

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Kosher salt will do just fine. What the recipe is trying to help you avoid is regular table salt, which does have additives that will cloud the pickling liquid.

I've used kosher salt in my chutneys, salsas, and other canned products for years. Made just one batch of pickled Jerusalem artichokes; clear liquid! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

you might want to check your brand of kosher salt.

some do have "additives" for color and flowability and yeah, that's the stuff what makes pickles go wonkers.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I just use regular table salt and have never had a problem with the brine clouding, but I've never used Kosher Salt. About the only time I use Kosher Salt is when making my brine for soaking a beef brisket for corned beef.

luvthesnapper

It's Diamond Crystal. It says, " this is an additive free product. some caking may occur." It's more of a flake salt.
Last edited by luvthesnapper on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy brua

If your recipe is useing volume measurements I would grind the salt first. If your picky like me. But it will desolve better too.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

luvthesnapper wrote:It's Diamond Crystal. It says, " this is an additive free product. some caking may occur." It's more of a flake salt.
That's the brand of kosher salt I used in the Jerusalem artichoke pickles and my other canning recipes. :)

Cynthia

luvthesnapper

So I want to do one pint ball jar as a test, and was wondering what the ratio of white vinegar to water is, and how much kosher salt I should be using, per jar.

I'm trying to pickle green beans, if anyone has a recipe. I'm going to slip in a chili, and some red pepper slices as well.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

luvthesnapper wrote:So I want to do one pint ball jar as a test, and was wondering what the ratio of white vinegar to water is, and how much kosher salt I should be using, per jar.

I'm trying to pickle green beans, if anyone has a recipe. I'm going to slip in a chili, and some red pepper slices as well.
This is what I do as far as vinegar to water ration. I sterilize the jars first, pack it as tightly as possible with green beans, add just a bit more than 1/3 white vinegar and top it off with water. I'll then pour this off into a pot and bring it to a boil, add my salt, a sliced up clove of garlic and some red pepper flakes. When this is well blended, I'll then pour it into the jar leaving about 1/4" of head space, wipe down the top to make sure there nothing to interfere with the seal, tap the jar a bit to get as much air out as possible, then put on the lid and ring to seal it tight.

I'll then set this aside to see if it seals with a vacuum. Most of the time it will, but if not, I'll let the jar come to room temperature and put it in the fridge and use it in a couple weeks. If it seals, then you can store it in a pantry until needed.

As for how much salt, that is an individual thing, but I like mine with a bit of a salty bite so I probably use about 1 1/2 teaspoons for a pint.

Also, some folks put their pickling jars in a water bath and bring that to a boil for several minutes. This will almost always guarantee a seal but I find the veggies I'm pickling stay crispier not using this step.

luvthesnapper

I Didn't get a seal I don't think, but it's ok. I'll just let it cool, and pickle in the fridge for a week, then eat it. I just wanted something pickled to eat. This was good practice though. I definitely need more.

*EDIT* - It sealed tight. It just needed to sit on the counter for 30 minutes or so. There's absolutely no play in the little button on the top of the jar, and I hear that's how you know it's sealed.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What are your guys' thoughts on sea salt?

luvthesnapper

Not sure. I have a bunch of bags of realsalt, and I plan to try it out. It doesn't have any additives either, and is like a pinkish color.

https://www.vitacost.com/redmond-realsalt-natures-first-sea-salt-fine-salt

luvthesnapper

You guys ever pickle with raw apple cider vinegar? I have a gallon of Braggs, that I haven't even opened yet.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I seen someone on youtube make "refrigerator pickles" with it.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”