lehighwiz
Newly Registered

Hello and HELP! :) [Pic included]

I love this forum as a resource since I have purchased my home and I'm trying hard to get my lawn back in shape after years of neglect by the previous homeowner. I'm starting to win the battle with the weeds and I think I have my sprinkler timing working well, but I have this odd growth of grass popping up all over that's really ugly. It's darker green than the rest of my lawn and grows insanely fast. Here is a photo showing the dark green clumps. The discrepancy in growth is from just 2 days as I mowed the lawn Saturday!

[img]https://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/lehighwiz/IMG_0950.jpg[/img]

Does anyone know what this is and how I can stop it from happening? Additionally, I don't believe any dogs ever use my lawn as a bathroom.

Thanks![/img]

Dr Blade

Hi lehighwiz

Its hard to tell without a close up, but looking at it looks like a different grass variety grass possiblly turf type tall fescue.

You have two options.

1) selectively kill those clumps with a non selective herbicide like round up and reseed in the fall.
2) I would fertilizer your lawn, it looks really weak, I'll bet you won't notice it as the rest of the lawn greens up.

Hope this helps.

lehighwiz
Newly Registered

dr blade,

thanks for the advice. I removed all the patches I could and sprayed a few and I have laid down some fertilizer all over the lawn. I may also try varying my watering schedule to see if I can increase the health of the existing grass.

Dr Blade

That sounds good. When it comes to watering its best to water deeply and in frequently so the roots grow deep and prevent thatch build up.

Good luck

lehighwiz
Newly Registered

good info. I was watering every other day. I think I'll back it down to every third day and see how that goes.

Return to “Lawn Care”