sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

nothing growing

I planted my cucumbers which had 1 leaf, 2 weeks ago. granted we had a bunch of rain in between there. but it has been rainy for at least 4 or 5 days now. STILL no growth. I am getting frustrated and impatient at this point.

tomatoes haven't grown either. melon, eggplant, squash, nothing! well, the squash grew 1 new leaf LOL

seriously though, this is just defeating and very frustrating! whine over :)

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Paitence! Things don't grow faster, even if we stare evilly at them and wish they would! The reward is well worth the wait!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I know it LOL!! I"m so pathetic! I go out there 3 times a day at least and look to see if the've grown at all hahah!!! I was gone all day today and I just checked, and I think the tomato plants FINALLY have grown a tiny bit and they are actually looking greener! the color was all wrong probably because of all the rain etc. but finally I think they're starting to look happy! YEAH!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:I know it LOL!! I"m so pathetic! I go out there 3 times a day at least and look to see if the've grown at all hahah!!! I was gone all day today and I just checked, and I think the tomato plants FINALLY have grown a tiny bit and they are actually looking greener! the color was all wrong probably because of all the rain etc. but finally I think they're starting to look happy! YEAH!
Some of what you are growing will do better once your temperatures get a bit higher. I'm guessing you are still seeing temps in the upper 50's/low 60's at night and in the upper 70's to low 80's in the day up in Maine.

My daytime temperatures are mid 90's most days with like numbers in humidity, so my garden is suffering right now and some things are already done for the season until fall planting.

mattie g
Green Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:
sheeshshe wrote:I know it LOL!! I"m so pathetic! I go out there 3 times a day at least and look to see if the've grown at all hahah!!! I was gone all day today and I just checked, and I think the tomato plants FINALLY have grown a tiny bit and they are actually looking greener! the color was all wrong probably because of all the rain etc. but finally I think they're starting to look happy! YEAH!
Some of what you are growing will do better once your temperatures get a bit higher. I'm guessing you are still seeing temps in the upper 50's/low 60's at night and in the upper 70's to low 80's in the day up in Maine.

My daytime temperatures are mid 90's most days with like numbers in humidity, so my garden is suffering right now and some things are already done for the season until fall planting.
Gumbo...check out this site: [url=https://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml]Heat Index Calculator[/url]

If you had a 95-degree day with 95% humidity, the heat index would be a toasty 154*.

Not calling you out or anything. Just trying to inform. :D

SLC

Do you take pictures of the progress? When I first put everything in the ground (just about six weeks ago), I took pictures daily, and although I was looking at the actual garden with my own eyes every day, I didn't realize the progress until I looked at the daily pictures, or even weekly pictures. At first I thought the same thing as you and then looked at the first pics I took and there really was a difference!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:I planted my cucumbers which had 1 leaf, 2 weeks ago. granted we had a bunch of rain in between there. but it has been rainy for at least 4 or 5 days now. STILL no growth. I am getting frustrated and impatient at this point.

tomatoes haven't grown either. melon, eggplant, squash, nothing! well, the squash grew 1 new leaf LOL

It's possible that many members have missed [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45820&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]this thread[/url], which contains a good overall description of your soil and water situation. Those conditions may account for a good deal of the frustration you're experiencing with the seedlings, if they haven't been addressed yet.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:
sheeshshe wrote:I planted my cucumbers which had 1 leaf, 2 weeks ago. granted we had a bunch of rain in between there. but it has been rainy for at least 4 or 5 days now. STILL no growth. I am getting frustrated and impatient at this point.

It's possible that many members have missed [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45820&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]this thread[/url], which contains a good overall description of your soil and water situation. Those conditions may account for a good deal of the frustration you're experiencing with the seedlings, if they haven't been addressed yet.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
I don't' think it is due to that though. I've amended the soil and I"ve been using the right water on it. I don't normally have problems with the seedlings though. they usually start to grow a bit and then they stop growing. this year they're just not growing at all. I think it is the fluctuating temps. it was hot, then cool, then warm, and now it is going to warm/cool and cool at night :( this past week it was 50's at night and my tomatoes were starting to lose the purple color to them finally. and now its going to get cold again. can't win. the cucumbers though are in soil I had hauled in last year and the peppers too. even my daughters tomato plant which is in the hauled in soil isn't growing either. :(

today we get rain again. its been raining all night. thankfully the next 5 days or so are supposed to be sunny. but still just mid 70's :(

you think fertilizer will help at all even with the fluctuating temps?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

SLC wrote:Do you take pictures of the progress? When I first put everything in the ground (just about six weeks ago), I took pictures daily, and although I was looking at the actual garden with my own eyes every day, I didn't realize the progress until I looked at the daily pictures, or even weekly pictures. At first I thought the same thing as you and then looked at the first pics I took and there really was a difference!
I haven't, however, when the cucumber plants started out with 1 leaf, and they remain with 1 leaf after 2 weeks, I don't' think they've grown at all hehehehhe. same with the tomato plants, they were small when I put them in. and they just started on some new leaves. it is easy to tell since the plants were small to begin with. squash too. they are starting to do something though! they're getting new leaves as of yesterday! yesterday seems to be the winning ticket. everything appears like it is starting to grow things as of yesterday afternoon LOL!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sunny and mid 70's is perfect! no reason to :( that.

Any where between 70 and 85 is just fine for the summer veggies. Above that a lot of things start getting stressed by the heat, having trouble pollinating/ setting fruit, etc.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

it is more the night temps that come with the 70's temps. its been high 70's all week and 50s at night and finally they are starting to do something. but the next week is supposed to be mid-low 70s and 40's at night :( my tomato plants dislike the 40's they turn purple. sniff sniff :(

DownriverGardener

I planted a burpless cucumber plant back in late May, and it didn't seem to do much. In fact, I ended up taking it out of the container-trellis and replaced it with a morning glory vine because I thought the plant was done for. After it sat in a 1 gallon container with a small trellis attached, it slowly came back to my amazement. I planted it in the ground yesterday. So just through my experience, the cucumber plant took a long time to get going.

luvthesnapper

All of my transplants, except the tomatoes, took weeks before they did anything major above the surface. Below however, the roots were growing like crazy. I got impatient, and dug up a lima bean plant, only to find a foot of root growth, with no real leaf growth.

I've only had one year that when I planted, everything started to grow within a few days.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Sorry to hear, sheeshe. You're just more at the mercy of climate up in your area for summer vegetables than most of us are.

My tomatoes are doing really well so far, but my bell peppers just haven't wanted to take off. One of them isn't much bigger than when I planted it a good two months ago. Now...it was getting pecked at by slugs for the first month, so that slowed it down, but it's still frustrating, as I can't seem to get a good bell pepper crop in my garden. The jalapenos and habaneros were ridiculous (in a good way) though, and my once again my hot peppers (serranos and jalapenos) seem to be doing a better this year than the bells. Really strange!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

that makes sense about the root growth. perhaps they're working on their roots and getting a nice root system down and then they'll go POOOOOF! and surprise me with tons of new growth soon :)

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:that makes sense about the root growth. perhaps they're working on their roots and getting a nice root system down and then they'll go POOOOOF! and surprise me with tons of new growth soon :)
I find this to be true with squashes and similar plants. It could be something to do with recovering from transplant shock, or just "finding their way" into the soil.

Whenever I transplant squashes and melons, they do absolutely _nothing_ for about two weeks, then grow slowly until their total ground coverage reaches about ~2' in diameter, and then the growth really starts to accelerate. And then you can't stop them! :shock: :shock:

Per jal_ut's suggestion I direct-sowed all my pumpkins this year; I'll keep notes and see if they suffer a similar "pause" at the 2-3 true leaf stage.

I think there's merit to his argument, because every time I've transplanted potted squashes or melons (whether purchased or sown myself into starter pots) they're always root-bound by the time I transplant them.

The zukes I bought from Home Depot this year were a perfect example. When I peeled off the peat pot, all I saw was white; I couldn't see any dirt at all because the roots had grown up against the pot and completely "coated" the inside. No doubt the roots had a really hard time growing straight out into the soil after such a difficult incubation.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

that will be an interesting experiment. please update!

UGH!!! my jade beans have been disappearing as they come up. I just found 2 cutworms. can't win! 3 rows of beans and 1 1/2 rows of beans remain. sigh. time to buy more seeds I suppose!

tomorrow I check out the clay field and see how that is going. I haven't been in a week, it might be a complete disaster. if there are groundhogs, I am going to be super sad. I need to get out there much sooner from now on so I don't feel paranoid.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

OOOOH! they changed the temps for the next few days to 50's at night and high 70's, yeah! woohooo!

luvthesnapper

It sounds like you're about on time, for the most part. I'm ~650 miles south of you, and all I have ready is green beans, and peas. Hopefully the animals don't get all your plants.

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/tonytwotime_2007/Garden%20Pics/SN852198.jpg[/img]

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

WOW! that is amazing! my green beans just came up, and got decapitated :( amazing that you have some ready already! WOW!

SLC

So... Seriously you should take pics from week to week just for kicks. I just took pics today and compared them to those I took 10 days ago and you wouldn't believe the difference! But I didn't realize you were in Maine, although, I am in Connecticut, and our weather hasn't been all that different... But I did find that after it was warmer for a few days that did help, as well as when I watered them with Miracle Gro for the first time...they really seemed to shoot up within like 2-3 days after that. What I also noticed in the pics I compared was that some of them had the same amount of leaves, like you were saying...BUT...those same leaves were bigger...so...you never know.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Yeah, I normally do weekly pictures each year.... but I didn't this year, probably because everything looked so pathetic it didn't look picture worthy LOL!! OK, sure, I'll take some today :)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

SO frustrated!! each night I have more and more bean plants cut down. stupid cut worms! I started with 3 rows and now down to 1 1/2 rows. Found 2 cut worms the other day, just found 2 more. How many more could there seriously be? this is insane. I guess I have to put something around every silly plant. If I let it go, I'll just end up with no rows of beans!

patientx3
Newly Registered

sheeshshe wrote:it is more the night temps that come with the 70's temps. its been high 70's all week and 50s at night and finally they are starting to do something. but the next week is supposed to be mid-low 70s and 40's at night
I know your pain, its been about the same here in Washington. My green beans are growing painfully slow (I think they've been about the same size for a few weeks). My cherry tomato plant is actually been growing fairly well and opened a few flowers in the last week, but I know from last year that I shouldn't count on those turning into tomatoes anytime soon. They had flowers around the same time last year (sooner actually) and there was no sign of tomatoes until about July.

luvthesnapper

Did you try some insect spray, like Neem oil? I had cabbage worms a while back, and neem oil knocked them out pretty quickly. I started off just smashing them with authority when I found them, but they spread quickly, and I couldn't keep up.

Off topic, I hear it's being used by veterinarians as an internal treatment for tapeworms, pin worms, roundworms, etc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not sure the cutworms would be real susceptible to Neem. Neem kills when ingested by leaf eaters. Cutworms eat stem and roots. It would be impossible to spray the roots and difficult to be sure by spraying the stem that they ingested enough. The cutworms stay underground most of the time so are protected from most sprays.

If you put the collars around your plants that protects them. Otherwise, cutworms like slugs, earwigs and others are active at night. We should all get used to regular patrols of our gardens by flashlight! If you come out at night, you should be able to spot them and kill them.

luvthesnapper

Couldn't you water it in, then spray? I've read about people doing that for cutworms.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I've tried spraying neem and that didn't help. my main pests right now are, slugs and cutworms. that is what is eating my stuff. oh and the turtle shell bug thignies, but those are so slow moving, I just go out there and pick them off. they stay on the same plant all day long it seems.

I was just out there and I didn't even think of looking for cutworms. ugh. maybe I need to go back out :) its dark here now, I was trying to see if there was anything else that needed diatomaceous earth:) I'm hoping that will help the cutworms, but who knows!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Maybe this has already been mentioned -- I didn't read all the way back to the first post. I used to push the bottoms out of paper cups, then put the cup upside down over the plants to protect them from cutworms. You can start with those little cups designed for the bathroom, and move up to larger cups as the plants grow.

When you place the cup over the plant, turn it back and forth a few times to work it into the soil a bit. This is a very old-fashioned method, but it was always quite effective at protecting my plants from cutworms. [img]https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/Kisal_photos/dunno.gif[/img]

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I do that when there are small amounts of plants, like in my daughters garden. but 3 rows of beans, it is a bit much. for some reason they really like green bean plants too. I'll do something, I have to.

applestar
Mod

I don't know if this will work, but I read about these traps for them somewhere and it can't hurt to try, right? 8)

One is that farmers used to poke a straight hole with the hoe handle and cutworms would try to hide in them, so you can find them all trying to fit into the hole in the morning.

Another is to dig a straight-sided hole and put a straight sided can -- like soup can or cofee can that they won't be able to climb out of snug inside of it.

If you try them, let us know the results. :wink:

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

neat! I might try the hoe handle hole thing :)

I found FIVE more cut worms this afternoon! there were 5 more beans chopped down and I found all 5 cutworms. GRRRR. EVIL things! I hate these things so bad. every year I wind up with a few bean plants because they're so terrible!

on a lighter note, my grapevines I put in this year are happy and apparently like my acid soil!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

SOOOOO mad!!!! 3 more bean plants down, 2 more cutworms found.

How many more could there possibly be?? I've got rid of at least 10. 5 yesterday, 2 today, 2 the day before yesterday, 2 another day...???

this is seriously frustrating me. I had so many bean plants :( :( :( :( :(

I planted more. I guess in go the collars. I hate to do it because they're supposed to go in 1" below the surface right? and it is so difficult to do that. someoen told me to put nails right up against the stems and they can't cut. that didn't work at ALL.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Annnnd just found 5 more cutworms. gosh! I cut up a bunch of toilet paper rolls and put them around them. hopefully it works. it only took me an hour LOL. I hope this doesn't drive them to something else because they can't eat the beans. I'll be worse bad if they take out my struggling tomato plants!

applestar
Mod

;x You need more natural predators.

In my garden, I think they are moles and birds -- thrush family like robins and grackles, sometimes towhees, as well as flickers -- maybe some beneficial nematodes. Possibly chipmunks as well? 8)

Do you maintain a water feature like birdbaths, small pond, etc.? That helps to draw birds that won't come to a feeder.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

No, I don't have any of that there. I doubt my hubby would let me do a birdbath, he would dump it because it is a 'mosquito breeding ground' :roll:

I tried a bird feeder once, but the squirrels just kept breaking the stupid thing :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You need to get a little more creative! You are smarter than they are, right? :)

For the bird bath, a water wiggler is great:

[url=https://www.birdbaths.com/bird-bath-accessories/bird-bath-wigglers-&-bubblers/waterwiggler.cfm]water wiggler[/url]

but any little bubbler or mini fountain is fine too. No mosquitos will come to it as long as the water is moving. Apparently birds like moving water too. The water wiggler is nice because it's battery operated so you don't have to have electric wires out to where your bird bath is.

For the bird feeder, there are a variety of squirrel proof ones. This is the kind that has worked best for us:

[url=https://www.hayneedle.com/sale/perkypetsquirrelstumperbirdfeeder.cfm?source=placpc&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=OIN156&gclid=COGf-d2a1rACFUSK4AodeCYT3w]squirrel proof feeder[/url]

There's all different sizes and shapes of them, but basically a feeder tube inside a metal cage. Little birds can get through to the food but squirrels and also big birds like starlings can't. And the metal is very solid, they can't demolish it. We tried a lot of things before we got to these and the squirrels always got it eventually. But we have had these for years now and the squirrels do not get any more birdseed (except of course what the birds drop on the ground, but that's okay).

Any other excuses you would like me to demolish? :)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Nope! I think you covered it all :)

You think that will solve my cutworm issue? I tend to think that birds in the garden will mean they'll eat my strawberries and other veggies etc. I haven't had an issue with berries being eaten before. If I bring them, will that change for me? That is a reservation I have.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

by golly. one of my tiny tomato plants has a flower. WHY?? LOL. it isn't anywhere near the size of a tomato plant that could even HOLD a tomato. hehehe. the thing would fall over with 1 tomato on it ROFL! well, at least it is growing... slowly, but still growing!

Starting tomororw, the next 3 days will be in the 90's. 60s at night. the tomatoes will like those night temps! grow plants grow!!!

haven't seen any more cutworms! maybe I got them all!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”