zana220
Newly Registered

wilting hydrangea

I have a light pink hydrangea that I have had for about a week. It was out in the rain (accidentally) and the next day the blooms were all wilted. Some of the little blooms turned brown, but a good majority of them are still their normal color. I have not repotted it yet, so I am wondering if this is the problem or if the rain was too rough for it. The others that are repotted were in the same conditions and they are fine. Please help...Thank you!!

Susanna

Sunny
Newly Registered

I am having a similar problem with my hydrangea. We bought it a few weeks ago and I am keeping it out of direct sun light but where there's plenty of natural light. But it still turned brown and lost some leaves. I repotted it and noticed new leaves appearing at the bottom, and now thinking of cutting off the top part that turned brown. Would this be advisable to do?

I asked my mother in law who used to grow hydrangeas successfully, and she said these flowers are very picky about the area where they are planted. She had to replant hers and move it to a new location because it "didn't like" its previous spot. All of a sudden, the flower started doing great. Maybe your flower will do better if planted in the ground instead of the pot?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

In a pot they are limited in the moisture available and these are THIRSTY plants. Cold can cause damage; I do not know where you are from because you did not join (or say), so I don't know if that applies. Disease is a possibility, but I am leaning towards the other two until we eliminate them as possibility...

Sunny
Newly Registered

I see Hydrangeas growing all over our area in Texas, most of these grow quite large, so I can definitely see why the plant may not be happy restrained within a pot. Placing the pot on the ground may also help, because the ground will keep the moisture in better than a saucer.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I think you have your answer. Partial shade would help, but not as much as a MUCH larger root system. I'd put it in the ground...

zana220
Newly Registered

I live in Jacksonville, Florida. On an average day the temperature is about 85 degrees. Do hydrangeas grow well in my climate? I never see them around so I started to wonder if it might be my climate...If so, what kind of flowering plant can I pot that would do well in my climate? My geraniums are doing great and so is my rose bush. Thanks!!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hydrangeas should do fine there, Zana, although they might be passed up for longer bloom times on other shrubs. Plant 'Endless Summer' and you can have those blue flowers all summer long; wow the neighbors and be the first one on the block...

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”