ericbye
Newly Registered

First Bonsai North West Coast Canada

I'm goin to pick up a bonsai soon.. one for a gift and possibly one for myself.. ive done some research just wondering what the easiest to keep bonsai to learn with is for this climate.. and what an easy indoor bonsai is.. and what kind of outdoor bonsai would be ok for a max summer temp justabove 30 and coldest down to neg 10 in random cold snaps

ynot
Greener Thumb

ericbye,

Welcome to the forum :)
ericbye wrote:I'm goin to pick up a bonsai soon.. one for a gift and possibly one for myself.. ive done some research just wondering what the easiest to keep bonsai to learn with is for this climate..
What has your research indicated?
'Easy' is a subjective term to say the least.
Not knowing anything about your gardening/horticultural skills NOR what is available to locally you makes this mostly a guessing game...But here goes:
ericbye wrote:and what an easy indoor bonsai is.. and what kind of outdoor bonsai would be ok for a max summer temp justabove 30 and coldest down to neg 10 in random cold snaps
Indoors = Ficus [But keep them out doors in the summer When temps are above 50F .]
Outdoors = A Juniper seems your best bet.
Considering your winter temps you are going to need to provide some degree of winter protection [Especially from wind] for most bonsai [bonsai being container culture have higher comfort zones than trees in the ground.]

Continued research is always beneficial. :)
ynot

ericbye
Newly Registered

Its for my mom.. and she does quite a bit of gardening and stuff and wouldnt be against learning mroe to keep something like a bonsai growing.. it sounds like the local place here has a lot to choose from.. thanks for the help

ericbye
Newly Registered

oh and even in the summer here on a cold night it can dip below 50 (10C) could that be a problem?

ynot
Greener Thumb

ericbye wrote:Its for my mom.. and she does quite a bit of gardening and stuff and wouldnt be against learning mroe to keep something like a bonsai growing.. it sounds like the local place here has a lot to choose from.. thanks for the help
One thing to keep in mind is that she need not start out with a 'finished' bonsai...It is far far cheaper to buy nursrery stock and build your own 8). [Which lets you get more of them :D]

See here https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/nurserys.htm

Enjoy the journey!

ynot
oh and even in the summer here on a cold night it can dip below 50 (10C) could that be a problem?
If you refer to ficus... Not lethal [With acclimation] But you will not get the best growth out of them...Either consider indoor culture [W/ proper lighting] or a different species perhaps... There are still plenty of options for you to check out species-wise.

A bit about ficus and temps:
https://www.bonsaihunk.us/ficusforum/FicusTechniques/FigTechnique19.html

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”