Kiwi1991
Newly Registered

Climate regions and dormancy questions

Hello. I am new to Bonsai but I have a nice collection so far. I live in south Florida and have a perfect spot for all of my bonsai in an outside covered porch where the plants get lots of indirect sunlight and ventilation and some late afternoon direct sunlight. The soil is kept from drying out completely as I am very watchful. My question is, am I going to have problems with my more northern plants not going through dormancy in the fall and winter months.? I occasionally get weather in the 40's and 50's in the coldest part of winter. What kind of change can I expect around fall? :wink:

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Depends on the tree and what zones it is hardy in... most northern maples, pines, etc. will fail without a dormancy period. Check the USDA zoning for your trees.

Kiwi1991
Newly Registered

I have heard of some people using a freezer when necessary.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

For that to be possible, the tree would need to go dormant first, it would have to be deciduous, and it would have to drop it's leaves before placing in the refrigerator. It is far better, with far less headacbes and losses, to work with something appropriate to your zone, or something that will survive indoors.

Starting off with something that is, by default, going to be exceedingly difficult is a very quick way to become completely frustrated, even to the point of dismissing the bonsai hobby, as so many do, as impossible.

What zone are you in and which species are you worried about keeping? There can be some alternative species to consider.

Kiwi1991
Newly Registered

The only ones I have concern over is my dawn redwood and sequoia, both are wonderful specimens about 22" tall :oops:

Kiwi1991
Newly Registered

I am in zone 9

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Dawn Redwoods are zones 5-8 to 5-10, depending on reference, so you should be fine with them outdoors, year round, no mussing. Sequoia sempervirens is more milder temperate to subtropical, zones 7-10, but again, fine to leave out year round in zone 9. If you're fond of those two, you might also consider Bald Cypress (4-11, yes, seriously).

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”