ToniJo
Newly Registered

What are "real" leaves, and a question about pots?

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forums...

I planted a packet of tomato seeds between 4 small clay pots... I didn't know if they'd sprout or how well they would do, but so far so good.

[img]https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p144/tre_chazz/Plants/Tomatoes/070505---Tomatoes_01b.jpg[/img]

It says to wait to transplant them till they have a set of "real" leaves. Are these still too young? Should I cut off the leaves of some of the smaller ones (I.e. kill off the baby plants) to give the larger ones more room till it's time to move them?

Also, I am planning to grow these on my porch. It faces South and gets plenty of sunlight daily (we are on the top floor of an apartment complex). I am only going to keep 3 or 4 plants, each in it's own 5 gallon pot. I have 2 clay pots that are this size, but it seems plastic pots are preferred... why is this?

Thanks for your help in advance!

- Toni Jo

Grey
Greener Thumb

Your sprouts look good!

"True" leaves are the ones that will come after this first tiny set of two that the plants currently have. They will be shaped like tomato leaves, instead of this almost generic-looking leaf they have now.

You can thin them out, just pick the healthiest ones and pluck out the weak looking plants. They would all grow, I have a hard time thinning and wind up carefully pulling apart tomato seedlings whose roots have grown together and get a bigger garden than I had planned.

ToniJo
Newly Registered

That is such wonderful news! I'm glad they will be okay. Their stems are getting stronger and I'm starting to see the beginnings of those larger leaves from the center of the two baby ones.

Thank you for your help!

tiggs&oscar

Hi Grey :)

I'm at the same stage having started mine off in an egg carton so following your advice I popped them into yoghurt cartons today. As they are from a supermarket tomato I have no idea how big they will get but looking forward to finding out!

TO

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”