hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Tomato Gallery - Highlight Your Favorite Varieties

'Sweet Cluster' - flavor, production, disease resistance

This is one of several 2012 plants. For lunch, I just ate my first tomato from a sister plant. These are a relatively large salad tomato which slice up nicely for early tomato on a summer sandwich.

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7107/7129512541_d0cfcb8f15_o.jpg[/img]

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The trickle of early tomatoes continues! Just a small bowl but they have been staying ahead of us for a little over a week now. Before then is was just an occasional snack as an infrequent Juliet would ripen.

These in the photo are out two earliest and most reliable tomatoes. Everyone seems to love 'Juliet'. To me 'Sweet Cluster' has a better flavor and is more versatile. But Juliet ripens earlier, and continues to produce when everything else has died or shut down.

'Juliet' is a large oval salad tomato, usually about one inch by two inches. 'Sweet Cluster' is a large round salad tomato, often about 2.5 inches in diameter.

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7231/7132004121_f2eabcbf17_o.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My tomato plants are in the ground and some of them have their first flowers, but it will be awhile before I see any tomatoes.

I am growing some varieties I have never done before, from webmaster's heirloom tomato seed give away (SC Pink, Red Boar, Berkely tie-die), so I am interested to see how they do. Germination was very slow and germination rate was low, but the plants that I did get are now looking very sturdy and healthy.

mattie g
Green Thumb

I generally really only like paste tomatoes, since I only eat tomatoes in their "processed" form. I'm growing San Marzanos this year, and since I've only heard great things about them I'm getting pretty excited about the prospects (fingers crossed!).

gardenboy
Cool Member

Nothing better than vine ripe grown tomatoes. I only grow heirloom, indeterminate varieties. The best this year were Chinese Purple, Brandywine and German Johnson. The best grape tomato was Black Cherry. By the way, how do you insert pics inside message?

albucsfan
Cool Member

Heh, had to buy starts this year, started seed but no luck... Am still trying some new ones ( for me) this year though. Really good luck with Juliet's so far... Already had a few ripe ones & little princess loves them. Waiting for Cherokee purple & German pinks to ripen so we can see if we like them too

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

gardenboy wrote: By the way, how do you insert pics inside message?
Instructions for inserting photos are in New to Helpful Gardener? under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members.

I've been trying to get webmaster to insert a little verbiage on the index page to show that those instructions are there, because NO ONE ever finds them, but it seems to be something he is not willing to do.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:The trickle of early tomatoes continues! Just a small bowl but they have been staying ahead of us for a little over a week now. Before then is was just an occasional snack as an infrequent Juliet would ripen.
Great pictures of early tomatoes there, alex. Good job, your early efforts are really paying off nicely for you. My wife and I enjoyed our first slice (Brandywine) on a hamburger over the weekend. I have some ripening from plants that were in my green house over the winter and moved outside in early spring. Also, we had some great fried green tomatoes.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/hunt-john/gardening/IMG_1660.jpg[/img]
This is a sun gold hybrid from last year and a favorite of the family and the neighborhood lol...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but most of my tomato plants have little tomatoes on them now! Yay.. I should be on track for June tomatoes again this year. (Last year the weather didn't cooperate)

Richard L.

I planted eight "Celebrity" & must have 50 medium size tomatoes still on the green side. I also planted 5 Brandy Wine that are doing great. I see a lot of others are also doing fine... NICE!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”