sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ok to plant corn in an area that loses sun around 3pm?

I have the pefect spot for it, butnot sure if that is enough sun for corn? it will just be a small block of popcorn. :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would try it. I have grown corn next to tall trees that blocked the morning sun for a couple of hours and also the afternoon got blocked for maybe an hour. If it gets good sun until 3 PM I think it will do good.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

OK, thanks!!! :) I had blue hubbard squash and tomatoes there last year and they did OK, but I wasn't sure on how corn does since I've only grown it a couple of times. I think I"ll give it a shot! I can get it in a nice little block in that section.

MyMrSir1112

My location for corn is low sun, we will see what happens together :lol:

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

LOL!

Well yesterday I went out at 315 and it was still sun, so I think it will be ok! if I can plant anything at all now since I think I broke my foot! GRR

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I'd try it. I planted some tomatoes around my fig bush which is also shaded by the apple tree. One plant just gets some morning sun and some afternoon sun. But out of all my tomato plants its the biggest and they were all planted at the same time. I'm surprised. I thought it'd die pretty quick after I realized how little sun it got....but for some reason it's thriving. So you never know!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

wow, that is pretty amazing!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”