Kimberly
Newly Registered

Do you like your frogs in your yard/garden?

I love my tree frogs and toads. Do you enjoy the jumping little friends? When I 1st moved into my house 4 years ago there were no tree frogs and now I have several all around. Where did they come from?[/list][/url]

slakker

did you or your neighbours put in a pond? I know water sources attract all types of wild life where we live.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Kimberly, that's wonderful. Frogs and toads are indicator species. That means you have a healthy environment since they are very sensitive to herbicides and pesticides. We also have toads and we love them! If you have the things they need to survive they will come. They need food, water, shelter and a place to raise their young.

Newt
[/img]

Idont mind toads or frogs in my garden cause they eat the insects most of them

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Though, something to watch for are bullfrogs who will eat the beneficial frogs and even the waterfowl. I have a friend who goes out on hunting trips in his watergarden for bullfrogs and kills them.

They can be a very detrimental invasive species. I don't know of any organic ways to deal with them other than to physically go hunting for them like my friend does.

pixelphoto

I like frogs and taods in my yard and garden as well.
they may eat a few beneficial insects but the number of bads insects they eat outweighs that so I am ok with it.
I have a few solar powered walk way lights in my garden and the frogs gather by them at night and catch bugs like moths and other beetles and insects. its fun to watch as they will jump and can catch moths in mid air.

tiggs&oscar

you lucky so and so!

I am lucky enough to live in the countryside and my neighbours with ponds are reporting activity. My project this summer is to create a wildlife pond so no fish but hopefully lots of frogs and newts to chomp slugs and snails!

Hortoholic

opabinia51 wrote:Though, something to watch for are bullfrogs who will eat the beneficial frogs and even the waterfowl. I have a friend who goes out on hunting trips in his watergarden for bullfrogs and kills them.

They can be a very detrimental invasive species. I don't know of any organic ways to deal with them other than to physically go hunting for them like my friend does.
The only thing that stays the same is change.... :roll:

tiggs&oscar

what do you mean by a bull frog?

Hortoholic

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/North-American-bullfrog1.jpg/775px-North-American-bullfrog1.jpg[/img]

More info @
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullfrog

Jess
Greener Thumb

Those tadpoles are enormous!!!
Does anyone know if they have reached Britain? It says on the website that they are in Europe.

tiggs&oscar

Would you believe I just read an article in yesterday's Scottish Daily Express where a secretion from American Bullfrogs is being used to fight the MRSA bug in hospitals!
Apparently, the substance was discovered about 20 years ago in the US.
On a similar note my parents who live in Western Australia which is still free of Cane Toads who were introduced to eat beetles on crops in Queensland have just sent me a picture of one caught on the border into WA. It is the size of a small dog and unfortunately they are lethal to crocs and other natives who eat them.

TO

tiggs&oscar

Native wildlife that is, not people.

As far as I know!

TO

MetPC
Newly Registered

Love having frogs around our pond. Listening to them chirrup away in the evenings is quite relaxing and they eat plenty of bugs so I can enjoy sitting out even more.

Sadly one of mine died recently, found him floating around like a bloated scuba diver! That just leaves the 3 out there now.

They love having plenty of vegetation in the water, not only does it give them shade/shelter but lots of bugs get caught up in it too.

lillgardnr

I enjoy the sounds they make at night....they get pretty big around here to. and the pollywogs...they are the size of silver dollars.... :P

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”