MammaLeaf

Unknown Plant for Mother's Day

They were handing out these plants at church last Sunday. It was healthy when I got it, although a little dry and rooty. I transplanted it and put it in my sitting room with my other plants. Yesturday I noticed it wasn't doing so well. Some leaves are drying up and crumbling and others are just falling off. All of the leaves are droopy and sad. The soil feels moist, but not over watered. I don't know what's wrong or what to do. If I knew what kind of plant it was, I might know what do do for it, but if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great! I'd like to save it if I can.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

May be virused and there is nothing you can do for that. Not sure what plant it is; Grey are you out there? Is this something you are familiar with?

S

MammaLeaf

:( I hope someone can come up with something- it seems to be getting worse by the hour.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

May be safest to heave it, especially if there are other plants around; sort of like keeping Typhoid Mary on the ward otherwise...

JulieR
Newly Registered

This plant looks to me like a New Guinea Impatiens. In Michigan it's sold as an annual, outdoor plant.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Did a little to me as well, but that discoloration? :? varigation? :? in the middle threw me...

JulieR
Newly Registered

The leaves appear variegated, but I think that is just the yellowing/beginning of the leaves demise. I think this plant is not meant to be kept indoors, probably too much constant warmth. I would bet if you removed the yellowing/dead leaves and put it outside in a partially shady spot it would do better. And they like water!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'd agree with that...

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'm sorry for the delay - but I don't know what the plant is either. It looks to me like it would prefer shade, maybe dappled sun. I've seen plants like it, and I believe that's what they required. As for a name, or anything else... nada.

MammaLeaf

Thanks to Everyone for your replies.
After reading that it might have a virus, I stuck it out on my front porch for a day. It seemed to do better, and I thought it might like more sun. So I put it out in the yard by my flower bed.
We got a huge rain storm on friday and I was gone most of Sat, so this morning I went out to take a look and it seemed happier. I stuck it in the ground right next to where the pot was sitting.
We saw some plants at the store that looked similar and decided we think it is an Impatient too. Hopefully, after my abuse and the poor thing loosing most of its leaves, it will bounce back.
Thanks for your help!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Glad to hear about the happy ending...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”