ESMcLane
Cool Member

large potting containers

I have 2 pretty big pots that I want to plant several types of plants in, but I've never done that before. We received the containers with plants that we planted in our yard as a gift last year and I noticed there wasn't dirt or soil in the whole container and that it was filled with a "filler" then dirt on top. I also noticed that the plants' roots weren't fully covered in dirt. Is this okay?

What type of flowers/plants complement each other in a container?

thank you!

lily51
Greener Thumb

Is the container going to be in sun or shade? Decide that first, then colors you may want.
If they are round, a general formula is tall in the center, either greenery or tall flower, surround with "filler" plants, add something that cascades down the sides. Maybe an accent plant, too.
Go to some local greenhouses and check arrangements and copy. There are also magazines and online sites that show exactly where to place which plants.
You'll get more creative the more you practice!

ESMcLane
Cool Member

Well, we are still trying to figure that out. They are on the sides of our steps leading to the front entrance & 1 side is full sun & the other is only part sun...so we need to make a decision.

But the information regarding the tall plants in the center and filler plants around is very helpful- how deep do the plants need to be in the dirt?

I'm a very basic gardener- not very creative, but I'm hoping that will improve!

thanks so much : )

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a good formula for a mixed container. Of course you can just fill up a container with one thing that you really like and that works too....

Just to get you started, a few suggestions:

Trailing plants for pot edges: alyssum, ivy geranium, wave petunias, million bells, thyme, oregano

"Filler" plants: marigold, begonia, geranium, upright petunias, coleus (for the part sun area), lobelia.

Center of the pot: Lavender, salvia, celosia, small grasses

Go to a good nursery (NOT a big box) and look around, see what pleases you!

Tonight I'll try to take a couple pix of containers I did that are turning out nicely...

ESMcLane
Cool Member

oh wow, that is so helpful! thank you so much...I can't wait for this weekend so I can start looking around : )

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a thread I just started, a gallery of container pictures, to give you some samples:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=257542#257542

ESMcLane
Cool Member

They look great- thank you for the visual. It was very helpful because I'm such a visual person!

We're going probably tomorrow to a garden center that has a lot of good quality plants- I can't wait : )

Thanks again- I'll post pictures (if I can figure out how) when I'm done : )

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Glad you liked them.

Instructions for posting photos are here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

I'll let you in on a secret -- it's flowers, you can't go wrong! :) People tell me, you are so good at that, re baskets and vase flower arrangements, because you do one and it looks perfect, and you can look at it and say, look how this color balances out that one, etc. But that doesn't mean I planned all that. Any other combination/ arrangement would have looked just as perfect!

I like games you can't lose at! :)

ESMcLane
Cool Member

Awesome- thank you! In the grand scheme of things I know you can't really go wrong with flowers & a lot of it is trial & error- but I tend to be a perfectionist at times...I'm working on this- haha.

: )

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”