CatNippy81

Woodchuck living by my garden

I have a large woodchuck that lives in the back yard. He/she comes out every night and so far has not been an issue, but right now the garden is empty. Is this critter a potential problem?

Jeremy brua

I would get rid of it now! They can do alot of damage quick.

CatNippy81

Oh great. I will see what I can do. Maybe animal control can catch it. They do carry rabies and sometimes hepatitis. I do not want it biting the dog. This thing is living under a junk pile that my neighbor leaves right on the property line. I know right where it lives. I would trap it myself but I am afraid I would end up trapping a skunk.

Jeremy brua

Not sure about rabies but they do get distemper. As long as you have the trap set in the day time it is very unlikly you will catch a skunk. What kind of trap do you have?

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I've been gardening around a "token" groundhog for years and he/she has never been a problem. However, sometimes I see a whole lot of young groundhogs roaming around and then we have a problem. That's when I get the smoke bombs, traps, and the rifle. Once the population is taken down, the problems cease and that same fat old "token" groundhog is still there.

My point is that one groundhog may or may not be a problem; BUT they reproduce :)
Last edited by orgoveg on Wed May 09, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moley
Cool Member

How much wood has he chucked so far? :?

lily51
Greener Thumb

These guys can do all sorts of damage , not just to garden but to structures by digging under them. Best to remove it, but don't release it to a field of soybeans!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I'm currently at WAR with a groundhog. He doesn't live in my garden but he has a hole under my fence and my elderly neighbor that has lived in the area for 80+ years showed me where they live - next door under the shed. I have tried EVERYTHING - fox urine, other powders, a spray and NONE of it worked. He started to eat my lettuce then ate my peas. I found a ginormous metal slab that weighs abut 60lbs and put it over the hole but really there's only a matter of time before he goes around it. I purchased a "Guardener" and I am skeptical about THAT working. I have a friend that has traps and has agreed to shoot it once I catch it but can't find the traps. I've given this hog plenty of chances to cooperate but no luck. I have no heart left for him at this point. If the Guardener doesn't work, he's toast.

nes
Green Thumb

Moley wrote:How much wood has he chucked so far? :?
As much as a wood chuck could chuck?

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Large have-a-hart trap dig a ditch at the opening of the den place the trap up tight against the den opening. cover with burlap and them cover it with dirt. An apple placed in the trap sometimes helps but they are very hard to bait into a trap. Best way is to just force it to go through the trap to get out of the den. Be careful they can get very cranky when trapped and those 4 big teeth can ruin your day real fast.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ground hogs always have at least one "back door" to their burrow, often more. So covering one hole won't even bother them too much.

I have a resident groundhog. She is one of the reasons (along with raccoons) why my broccoli and tomatoes live inside a deer netting cage. A lot of other things I just share with her. I can't grow sunflowers, because she loves young sunflower seedling and nibbles them down to the ground. Definitely a preference of hers. She also likes the appendaged waterleaf on my hillside and has really slowed it down. But she also often just grazes the neighbor's lawn. And she climbs the mulberry tree when it has berries. Only time I ever see her in a tree. It's pretty funny. You know she's there, because whole big limbs start bouncing. She's welcome to a lot of that stuff, so we co-exist pretty well.

HannahGrace

There's a groundhog residing in my neighbor's yard that comes over to my garden. Last year it kept my beans and okra pretty low (which, added to heat and the awful Japanese beetles that showed up, pretty much ruined my garden). Actually last year there was a number of them but we managed to get rid of all but that one. It is still around and has been making appearances in the garden. The city animal control guys brought a trap and left it here for about a week and I saw nothing of that groundhog. They took the trap away and that very night I saw it. :evil:
I would consider trying deer net except that I have a pretty large garden that is not ideal for covering it with net. :(

treehopper

whenever I hear the word groundhog, I immediately go into "swamp people" mode...shoot it!!! SHOOT IT!!!!

HannahGrace

This is what I found yesterday morning. Just a couple of days ago these were big (in the way of leaves) and beautiful. Thanks a lot, Groundhog!

[img]https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/seamstress3/P05-11-12_08-461.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/seamstress3/sunflower.jpg[/img]

(Sorry for the poor-ish quality of the pictures: I had to take them with my phone since my sisters had the cameras with them.)

Treehopper, if I didn't live in the city I'd probably do just that.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>Thanks a lot, Groundhog!

and there in lies the quandary issue of "co-existing" with wild-life in the garden.

in a single night a ground hog / raccoon / etc. can wipe out your entire season's work - but only "just before" you're ready to harvest.

all issues of "how" to "cure" the "problem aside, first the gardener has to decide: "my crops" or "them"

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Dillbert wrote: in a single night a ground hog / raccoon / etc. can wipe out your entire season's work - but only "just before" you're ready to harvest.
Tell me about it! I had just finished thinning my lettuce and was all ready for it to get big and happy so I can have some REAL salad and then the enxt day I go out to my garden and it's all eaten down!

This was what it looked like BEFORE thinning:
[img]https://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/50072/2719703900062041520S600x600Q85.jpg[/img]

How much I thinned out:
[img]https://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/50933/2004002210062041520S600x600Q85.jpg[/img]

Literally the day after I thinned, groundhog damage, she doesn't like arugula apparently (I just planted arugula around my lettuce and making it a "fence"):
[img]https://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/48132/2425400670062041520S600x600Q85.jpg[/img]

This is what it's like now, after a 2nd groundhog attack and now I have the "Guardener" up and covered its hole. I doubt it will stay:
IMG]https://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/50060/2637647930062041520S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG]
[img]https://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/50431/2634078940062041520S600x600Q85.jpg[/img]

Jeremy brua

If you catch him don't waist him. They make a realy good stew!

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Jeremy brua wrote:If you catch him don't waist him. They make a realy good stew!
Possum, muskrat, coon, groundhog and porcupine preparation. The Euell Gibbons method:

Proper meat preparation is the key to good flavor. The jugular vein should be cut immediately after the kill to bleed the carcass completely out. After field dressing and skinning, be certain to remove the pear shaped scent glands located in the small of the back and inside the front legs. (The muskrat has them inside all 4 legs)

Cover the meat with cold water to which has been added ¼ cup salt and ½ cup vinegar. Soak for 24 hours. You can go 48 hours if the water is kept cold enough. If you want to freeze it, wipe it dry before placing into freezer bags. The flavor actually improves after freezing.

A better-sounding and common name for muskrat is “marsh rabbitâ€

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Yeah considering what I'm feeding him/her I BET he tastes real good!

midtown bistro

I live in an area where ground hogs have been here as long as the early farmers were circa 1900. The den holes are under every barn, foundation of porches and decks, and even in the middle of people's yards. I knew by shape and looks that I had 3 ground hogs. A big ole fat one. A cute little one. And one that looked just normal.

I'm a engineer by schooling, so I tried everything I heard about. Here is my experience:

Gum (grape, watermelon): supposed to clog the gut of the ground hog and kill them. I tried about 10 packs of gum one year, scattered around their den entrances and around th garden. I know ants love it, couldn't tell if groundhogs ate it and whether it was effective because there wasn't a decline in the population.

Havahart trap: I learned that not just any vegetable in a live trap is a good idea because I caught the neighbors cat, squirrel, and a raccoon. Soon realized cantaloupe rinds worked best. I caught 4 of them over the course of 3 years. Noticed that ground hogs roam over a large area, eating clover, weeds, vegetables, and the like. Patience is required. And constant checking in case you do have one. Once caught, they can be feisty or calm. Just depends on how you approach and handle the trap with him inside. I drove them all 7.5 miles away (across 3 creeks, major road, and numerous wooded areas. Not sure, but we all think they returned. Not kidding. Many trapping forums say 10-15 miles is required because their dens are a complex series of tunnels which can take years to develop, also they mate and remain a social and family unit. Hence the drive to return.

Copper sulfate (causes flesh burns): supposedly putting this in their holes, which they dig through with their paws, causes severe damage to them. I used this with no proof of effectiveness. Note: copper sulfate is a root killer, so I probably shouldn't have done it but the guy who told me about it seemed knowledgeable. I wouldn't do it again.

Moth balls: dumping boxes of moth balls in every hole. I think this annoys ground hogs because 3 days later there are hundreds of moth balls thrown out into my yard. Stupid idea because they probably play with them before they kick them out of their dens.

Smoke bombs: worthless unless you can find every hole. Other forums indicate ground hogs have a guaranteed 2 entrances to a den, if they're there for more than a year, there's a network of tunnels and expansions, and hence more openings. I swear the neighbors barn (100 ft away) and garage, are all connected to my three holes. Trust me, I work out of my house and I watch my yard 5 days a week. Anyways, I bought 5 boxes of smoke bombs. That's a total of 25 smoke bombs. I've used every one of them, following directions, all holes in a simultaneous attack. Bottom line: they are expensive and useless. How do I know this? After months of bomb runs, several days later the holes are reopened, and remnants of spent smoke bomb casings thrown out of the hole.

Gopher peanuts (poison): I knew this wasn't going to work because the diet of ground hogs and gophers is different. I put one whole bottle in all 3 holes. Didn't see any dead ground hogs and didn't see a reduction in the population. A friend of mine said she put a brick form of poison in a hole and she's never had a problem since. Sounded to me like rat poison. I blew her advice off because most sites say rat poison is a waste of time because of the diet differences.

Pellet gun: I researched this for years. Borrowed a friend's gu which he said was very powerful. Stupid plastic toy it was. The issue with guns is you have to hit the ground hog in the head or it's cruel because they won't die quickly. .177 for feather friends, .22 for fur. For anything fur bigger than a squirrel, a certain muzzle energy rating is required. Okay so I bought a hunting pellet rifle with a scope, paid over $200 for the lot. Took me a while to sight in the scope, saw a ground hog about 100 ft away, shot it, hit it, he jumped and ran away. Bottom line: it's very difficult to hit a target the size of an apple at 100 feet. Even with a gun mount, these rifles take practice and precision pellets. I'll never use it again because I know I hit him and I know he ran off. Cruel, and ineffective.

Cats: rely on your or your neighbor's cat? Nah, they walk right past each other and I swear they say hello. Yeah sometimes the cats chase the ground hogs around, but seriously, a ground hog would kill a cat if it wanted. It's got the claws and strength and lives in the wild. And a cat eats out of a bowl.

Fox urine, animal deterrents: the garlic, red pepper, animal piss stuff you buy at Lowes is an waste of money. Yes it stinks. But after a few days in the sun, the ground hogs walk right past it, and sometimes eat the clover in the same spot. It's probably acting as a fertilizer haha.

Best solution: conibear trap. These are the most humane kill trap design made. Actually supported by animal rights groups. It's a spring loaded trap which comes in many sizes. Choose a #220 trap, aka 7" double-spring, which is designed for ground hogs, possums, and raccoons. Place in the den entrance, they ground hog (entering or leaving) trips the mechanism and he's dead. The traps cost 12 bucks. Get the setting tool and safety device for an additional 8 bucks. I've had mine over one hole for the past 3 weeks, and every 3 days I caught/killed a ground hog. Total: 5 ground hogs. Make sure you think through carcass disposal because you need to get rid of the dead animal some how. I bury mine ( dig the hole first before you deal with the dead animal), and keep in mind if there's one ground hog, there's another. If it is past June, they've mated and will produce one new offspring, every year. They live up to 10 years.

I've heard to fill the hole after no more ground hogs are trapped/killed because you don't want other ground hogs reoccupying the holes, or other varmints. I thought I had 3, but I've caught 5. Go figure.

So after 13 years of trying different ideas, all I know is that nothing proved itself effective other than the conibear trap, which nailed 5 of them in 3 weeks. If anyone can tell me something more effective than this, I'd love to hear it. Many ideas are urban legends, so I've found.

LLandry11

Wow! Thanks so much for that post "midtown"!
I learned a lot and had a good chuckle at the same time. :D
I too have a groundhog that lives within feet of the garden. He didn't cause a problem last year, so hopefully he won't this year either, but my husband and I were just recently discussing if we should try to get rid of him before the garden starts producing.
I would bet you've saved us a lot of money and frustration. :wink:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

midtown bistro wrote:I live in an area where ground hogs have been here as long as the early farmers were circa 1900. The den holes are under every barn, foundation of porches and decks, and even in the middle of people's yards. I knew by shape and looks that I had 3 ground hogs. A big ole fat one. A cute little one. And one that looked just normal.

I'm a engineer by schooling, so I tried everything I heard about.
Wow. Thank you for all the information! I'm sure that, somewhere along the line, you tried having a high-prey-drive dog patrol the yard? If so, what were your results?

And with regard to the needed precision for the rifle, I commend and thank you for taking the need for a quick, non-suffering death into consideration. Given that, what held you back from combining the Havahart (I own one; had to trap my own cat after she got out of the house and didn't have the brains to come back in...) with shot? Surely the precision would have been available. As it was, the trapped groundhog(s) became someone else's problem--not fair to fellow gardeners/neighbors, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I work with engineers, and have acquired the "All right, then; if that didn't work, how about this?" state of mind. I had to--my enemy was squirrels. Unfortunately, I live in the city limits, where firearms are forbidden, and a power slingshot would probably hit the neighbors' houses, so not a good idea. However, a neighbor cat now claims my yard as his territory, and many fewer (almost no) squirrels have messed with my veggies in the two years Large Gray Cat has lived here. :) So the idea of using natural predators/enemies comes to my mind readily.

Thank you again, but pls let me know whether you tried having a dog assist you.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

midtown bistro

Trying to capture a ground hog by bait is a slow process. If you're good, you'll catch one or two this summer. That's a lot of broccoli and lettuce. Oh yeah, shooting in a cage works, but you have to catch them first.

If your trap is new, put it outside and let it get rusty and dirty. The new car smell will tell them to stay away. Also, don't touch the food with your hands, your scent might cause them to not take the bait.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I've tried:

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-5620-Repelling-Granular-1-25-Pound/dp/B00306ELYW/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=thehelpfulgar-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325]https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-5620-Repelling-Granular-1-25-Pound/dp/B00306ELYW/[/url]

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Shake-Away-8004520-Repellent-Granules/dp/B000BO4XZI/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=thehelpfulgar-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325]https://www.amazon.com/Shake-Away-8004520-Repellent-Granules/dp/B000BO4XZI/[/url]

[url=https://www.amazon.com/WILDLIFE-MANAGEMENT-GROUNDHOG-REPELLENT-Category/dp/B001U5IF9C/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=thehelpfulgar-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325]https://www.amazon.com/WILDLIFE-MANAGEMENT-GROUNDHOG-REPELLENT-Category/dp/B001U5IF9C/[/url]

None of those worked. I covered up the hole with a thick metal plate that is sometimes used to temporarily repair roads. It worked or a little while...but it dug a new hole.

I got this:

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Guardener-A201-2-0-Animal-Repellent/dp/B004VNDX9C/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=thehelpfulgar-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325]https://www.amazon.com/Guardener-A201-2-0-Animal-Repellent/dp/B004VNDX9C/[/url]

But the range on it sucks. I can't get the sprayer to work properly either.

Now I'm dumping cat litter down the hole. It really didn't like that - but it tried to do another hole. Well, I got plenty of cat litter where that came from. I put some litter in that hole too. (oh and it has to be USED cat litter - clumping.

Jeremy brua

A thin layer of dirt, just enough to cover the wire realy hepls. As for touching the bait with your hands. Not a big deal. But you are 100% right with the canelope for bait. You can place a box trap right at the hole and cover the trap and the hole with a piece of carpet or a tarp and just leave the end of the trap uncovered. the 220 is the most efective method but I don't recomend it to people that don't know what they are doing. it could end badly for everyone.

Gustav
Cool Member

I feel your pain, I had the same problem with wild boars ploughing up everything just as it was 3/4 of the way.

midtown bistro

Several friends use .22 rim fire subsonic rounds. As quiet as a nitrogen spring pellet, but wayyy more power. I should have gone that route, but I didn't want to deal with a permitted firearm, nor the worry of the round going past my target. Looking back, if I'm not good enough of a shot with a hunting pellet gun, then I'm not the right person for a gun.

Good luck to all that are dealing with groundhogs. A very widely commented on topic, but zero store-bought remedies. Probably why ground hogs live so long, they are hard to eliminate.

Does anyone know how many ground hogs use, or occupy a den? I thought MAYBE 3 (male, female, and one offspring?), but I've caught five so far. Sheesh, how many freaking ground hogs are there?!?!?!

midtown bistro

RogueRose: too funny with that motion water spray thing. I researched that too. But then just couldn't bring myself to leave a hose out all summer. Then I said to myself... What would be the use of scaring a ground hog vs not killing...they'd still be around, and hungry, and maybe more pissed off. Then I thought wait, any animal, cat, dog, or person would trip this thing.

Let me know how well it works, and how many times you got wet. :)

If you see a ground hog walking around with an umbrella you'll know he's smarter than us.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Midtown - I didnt want a hose attached either! This one is solar powered and has I think a 3gal tank and lasts awhile (well, depending how often it sprays!)

rkunsaw

I have trapped them and shot them, but it's not easy to get them all.

I use an electric fence around my garden and it does a good job of keeping critters out.

treehopper

yep, sometimes the most efficient method is not the prettiest...the conibear is my go to method. I cover the hole and the trap with a black 5 gal plastic pail-make sure that trap is securely anchored.

midtown bistro

This forum is good luck!

Not sure why, but after joining this forum on Saturday I caught a groundhog, and now this morning I got another. Same hole, same #220 trap. This makes SEVEN ground hogs in 4 weeks.

I never knew we had that many, and now I have no idea how many there actually are.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

These days you can get solar electric fencing pretty easy to install and not overly expensive.

Jeremy brua

Midtown, watch out useing those 220s on land in Ohio. I would hate for somone to get fined over a whistle pig.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Jeremy brua wrote:Midtown, watch out useing those 220s on land in Ohio. I would hate for somone to get fined over a whistle pig.
Jeremy is referring to Ohio Trapping Regulations which prohibit use of conibear traps with an inside diameter greater than 5" (except underwater). The #220 is 7"x7". #110 is the biggest legal one that I know of (4-1/2"x4-1/2"). That's just big enough for a groundhog to get his head into.

midtown bistro

I just looked up the regs. Thanks.

You mention a 4.5x4.5. Can I get a 5x5? Is that legal?

Jeremy brua

I think bridger makes a 5x5 its called a 155. IMO a foot trap would be better. But if your in town dispatch might be a problem.

midtown bistro

I found the exact groundhog regs in Ohio for 2012:

(D) It shall be unlawful for any person to set, use, or maintain a foot hold trap, on land for the purpose of taking a wild animal, that has an inside diameter jaw spread larger than five and five-eighths inches, or a body gripping trap having a jaw spread larger than five inches in diameter, except as provided in paragraph (BB) of this rule.

(BB) It shall be lawful to set, use, and maintain a body gripping trap to take groundhogs from March first through September thirtieth each year. Provided further, it shall be unlawful to use a body gripping trap with a jaw spread greater than seven inches by seven inches to take groundhogs.

(CC) It shall be unlawful to set, use, or maintain a body gripping trap to take groundhogs which is set more than three feet from the hole, or structure the groundhog is inhabiting.

(DD) It shall be unlawful to set, use, or maintain a body gripping trap to take groundhogs that does not have an enclosure or structure around the trap which prohibits other animals from getting into the trap from the outside.

(3) Body gripping traps shall be measured from the inside of the main jaw at the trigger assembly to the inside of the opposing jaw across the entrance window

Now I have to research how to build a legal enclosure.

Jeremy brua

its good that you can use them (7x7) for groundhogs. you can try to make a plywood box that the trap fits inside. Then put chicken wire on the other end so it looks like he can go through. You will need some blocking so he cant go around.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Wow, that's good news! Where did you find that? I can't find my regulations booklet and the ODNR website is hard to navigate.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”