gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Nice harvest today

I picked 7 acorn squash, 10 cucumbers, about 3 lbs. of Yard Long Beans, a 5 gallon bucket of leaf lettuce, 5 tomatoes, 35 Jalapeno peppers, 8 Banana Peppers and 16 Beets.

I had to toss out half a dozen tomatoes due to pest damage and BER. In a couple weeks I'll also have some Ichiban Eggplant ready to pick. Later in the weekend I'll pick a half dozen more artichokes that are just about ready. I ate one steamed yesterday and it was great.

I have a feeling I will be hit by a big pest invasion soon since our winter was so warm and I can see bugs getting more and more plentiful in the garden. I'd better stock up on BT soon.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Wow! I love a success story.

Here you are pulling in all that good stuff, and I am just now planting the warm weather things. Still not warm enough to put tomatoes out.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Wow! I love a success story.

Here you are pulling in all that good stuff, and I am just now planting the warm weather things. Still not warm enough to put tomatoes out.
I still have pretty high hopes for my tomato plants even though they are not doing as well this year as last. BER has taken its toll on more than the few I had to get rid of today. I've picked almost a half dozen in the past 2 weeks that were rotten on the ends and were getting full of pests in the rotted flesh.

The days of heavy rains we had a few weeks ago are now showing the damage of too much water, too soon.

AdamBorzy
Newly Registered

Congratulations on your success! I am glad I am praying that my onion,carrots and lettuce will turn out well. :wink:

Avonnow
Green Thumb

hey green thumb glad to hear your warmer weather has paid off. I know it helped me alot here in Florida. I planted a variety of tomatos and honestly never thought they would do as well as the are. The bugs are bad, due to the very warm winter. Wish I could grow the squash, but no luck. My tomatos, tomatillos, peppers, beans and eggplant though have done well. Had eggplant for dinner tonight, it was great. I like Ichaban as well, good producer. just afraid it will continue to get hotter early and stop some things from producing, but I shouldn't complain, did better then I ever thought. I opened myself up to trying some different tomatoes, nothing from big box store and was very surprised at taste and quality. have a few we favorites!

[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/6d5b9a19.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/c98d7528.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/253f7787.jpg[/img] :D

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

^wow. Well done. My tomatoes are still green and about the size of golf balls. I noticed the bugs about a week ago.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I decided this morning was a good one to pick the soybeans I planted for Edamame. I've finished the task and have them soaking in the double sink in some cold water to clean away the dirt and get them ready for processing.

I wound up with a full 5 gallon bucket of beautiful 2 and 3 pod soybeans and that will be enough to put up 20+ bags in the freezer for extending the crop throughout the year. My whole family loves them so none will go to waste.

I find that they can be planted very densely with no ill effects, so a 20 ft. row gave me all I need with room to spare for other plants. Looks like I have the room for more okra plants now.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I'm coming to dinner!

If you want a quick fix for the BER, get some cheap calcium tablets from the drug store or WalMart. Crush them, make a paste then dilute with water. Feed the tomatoes and in a week or less, that BER problem will be gone.

I did this last year and it worked like magic.

Now, about dinner...........

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Hey Green Thumb in LA, do soybeans grow well in spring where you are or do they do alright when it gets warmer, I am in Florida and I love them, but never even thought of trying to grow them, are they bush or climbers - are they kinda like peas you need alot to make a meal. I find with alot of bush beans and such I just don't have enough property to make it worth while. They grow, but after picking and shelling - it is a pitaful amount. Just curious what you grow, maybe I will try them next year if it is too late this year.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Avonnow wrote:Hey Green Thumb in LA, do soybeans grow well in spring where you are or do they do alright when it gets warmer, I am in Florida and I love them, but never even thought of trying to grow them, are they bush or climbers - are they kinda like peas you need alot to make a meal. I find with alot of bush beans and such I just don't have enough property to make it worth while. They grow, but after picking and shelling - it is a pitaful amount. Just curious what you grow, maybe I will try them next year if it is too late this year.
I planted them in mid February this year but only because we had such a mild winter and it didn't look like it was going to do anything but get warmer as the year progressed.

They did quite well and just about every seed I put in the ground came up. I planted them very dense in a row 24 inches wide with 2 sets of plants in the row about 1 ft. apart and only about 2 inches or so between plants in each row. Most of the plants had about 24 or so pods on average but one plant had 52 pods-----I had to count since when I pulled the plants to harvest them I saw it was loaded.

They are bush type beans. I don't shell them. I clean them, in the meantime I get a large pot of water and salt it heavily and bring it to a boil. I'll put the pods in the water, bring it back to a boil and cook for only about 5 minutes and drain them. Then spread them on a towel to let them cool and stop cooking(don't pile them up). When I eat them, I just use my teeth to get the bean out the pod and toss the pod away since they are pretty tough. This is how the serve them in Japanese Restaurants as Edamame.

You have a very similar growing season to mine I would think. Give them a try next year once you are sure no more frosts are likely to happen.

By the way, nice crop of tomatoes you are harvesting. Mine are suffering this year from BER and pest damage. I've not seen garden pests this bad in years and it is still early in the summer season. I'm almost ready to pull the tomato plants and stick in 3 rows of okra and feed the entire neighborhood.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I was just plain lucky - I did spray them with copper fungicide regularly and I got that Spray and Grow stuff (?) I know people think its hookie! :roll: plus used fish fertilizer regular, and I used good quality seeds which I am sure is what made a bigger difference, I grew everything and bought no store bought plants, last year the store plants were a big waste of time. Anyhow I have done well for my small yard and the only bugs I got were hornworns and it was like one generation of them and they were gone. But I sure can get those SVB, they are having a party at my house as we speak and little white flies persist around my beans, just sucking the sap away, been doing neem and trying to get the most out of the beans. The only thing that hasn't arrived yet are the spider mites - they were horrible last year. I did my eggplant in pots on the front driveway instead of the ground as the mites killed them last year.

You know I know it sounds stupid but the pots on the driveway had very few if any bugs of any sorts, I did tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and broccoli, maybe it is the glare from the driveway. :shock:

Thanks for info on the Soy - I am up to trying anything new.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”