Avonnow
Green Thumb

Seeder

There are two seeders I have seen, this is the better quality one ....

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7235-mini ... eeder.aspx

Maybe his will help, I wish I could tell you from experience but I have a small garden. :D

Amy Is Growing

Tons of great info here. Jal_ut, beautiful picture! I planted all my seeds this year in jiffy peat pots. This was of course before reading the negative reviews of peat pots (not like me to not do my homework, but I was attracted to the convenience of the mini peat pots). Thankfully I'm in southern California, and with our dry, hot weather, I don't seem to have a problem with them staying too wet. Anyway, I've had great luck so far considering this is my first time growing anything in quite some time. I planted 50 cells of carrots, and 49 came up. Once they are ready, they will be transplanted into deep raised beds.

I wanted to ask if someone could describe the growth rate of carrots. How quickly could we expect they get to the thinning stage? I'm gathering that the census is to thin when they are 1-2" tall. Also, how big should they be before transplanting into my beds?

Thanks for all the info here and thanks in advance for any help or input you all might have!

Amy Is Growing

Tons of great info here. Jal_ut, beautiful picture! I planted all my seeds this year in jiffy peat pots. This was of course before reading the negative reviews of peat pots (not like me to not do my homework, but I was attracted to the convenience of the mini peat pots). Thankfully I'm in southern California, and with our dry, hot weather, I don't seem to have a problem with them staying too wet. Anyway, I've had great luck so far considering this is my first time growing anything in quite some time. I planted 50 cells of carrots, and 49 came up. Once they are ready, they will be transplanted into deep raised beds.

I wanted to ask if someone could describe the growth rate of carrots. How quickly could we expect they get to the thinning stage? I'm gathering that the census is to thin when they are 1-2" tall. Also, how big should they be before transplanting into my beds?

Thanks for all the info here and thanks in advance for any help or input you all might have!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

you guys have a lot of patients. I just sprinkle into about 1/2 inch deep furrows made with my fingers, cover, water, and keep moist~ish as time allows. I don't thin...except when we just have to pull a carrot out to taste check. :) they do fine. I don't care about funny shapes and stuff. Last year we got a cool pair that twisted around one another. It looked like two carrots hugging, my kids thought it was great :) This year I didn't even put em in furrows, just sprinkled them over the bed and raked em in with a hay rake. They are doing fine. Not orderly, but probably spaced enough to not need thinning anyway.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

oops sorry, double posted. :oops:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”