Rogue11

How to identify a fig tree

Is it possible to identify a fig tree and tell what kind it is from the leaves, shape etc?
After some crows feasted on figs on out garage roof we ended up with a fig tree growing. It's now about 3 years old and a good size. A week ago I noticed the first figs growing on it (about 20 that I can by now clearly identify as figs and not just little leave buds) and now I am curious what kind of fig tree it might be.

Also how long do figs need to grow and ripen? I've noticed they are growing rather fast; within a week from little buds to about thumb nail size.

Thanks

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I have a Celeste Fig tree in my yard and it is full of figs about the size of marbles right now. They will ripen and be ready for picking by mid June to mid July in the New Orleans area.

I don't think you can tell the fig variety simply by leaf shape, but I could be wrong. Celeste figs are the ones found in our area most often since they are a proven variety for our climate.

applestar
Mod

Funny coincidence -- I was surfing the web for fig info the other day and came across this site. Let me know if you figure it out.
https://www.raysfiginfo.com/index.html

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

if it grew from seed, you won't be able to say it's a specific known variety. pretty sure figs don't breed true, I.e. it's a new variety every time a seed germinates.

Rogue11

!potatoes! wrote:if it grew from seed, you won't be able to say it's a specific known variety. pretty sure figs don't breed true, I.e. it's a new variety every time a seed germinates.
At leasts that's what I think. It's the only way I can image how the tree got there. :)

Rogue11

applestar wrote:Funny coincidence -- I was surfing the web for fig info the other day and came across this site. Let me know if you figure it out.
https://www.raysfiginfo.com/index.html
Wow, thanks. that was some very interesting read.

Rogue11

Just an update on this topic.
Thanks to the link posted by Applestar I was able to identify the tree as a brunswick variety. At least I thought I did from the leaves, and the shape of the fruit. But I wanted to wait for at least one of the figs to ripen to also check the color on the inside and outside of the fruit.

Looks like I was right. So far we have harvested about a dozen very delicious figs. We are still not 100% sure where the tree came from (can only assume it was done by birds as stated in my first post of this topic). But in any case, whoever 'planted' it seems to have put it at a perfect location.

Return to “All Other Fruit”