Richee

So far this year I am growing 2 Avocado, 8 Lemon plants, 8 Meyer Lemons, 4 Key Limes, 8 Grapefruit, 8 Orange, 4 Green Apple, 4 Washington Apple, 6 Pear, 12 Tomato, 1 Hazelnut, 1 Almond, 2 Chestnuts, and a couple shade trees like Sycamore and Elm. All from seeds.

Already grown are two Patchouli plants that are about 4 years old, an Earpod tree that is 3 years old and 8 foot tall, and an Italian Stone Pine that is almost 2 years old.

Then I have some plants that were given to me, like a Japanese Plum tree.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Wow that is a hell of a lot of trees, I'm soon to be like that or even more, the main one and the ones I pamper the most is red maple tree, crabapple, super hots peppers like ghost peppers scorpion butch and many others, well I have to many plants, almost no. Trees but my 4 faves are four little papaya trees

Richee

I'll make a post with pictures in another section of the forum, maybe in the What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere section of the forum. I would love to see a picture of your Red Maple.

I've bought seeds for that tree one two different occasions, and have never been able to get any to germinate, no matter what I tried. I even have some still trying to germinate.. but it's not looking promising.

But I don't want to continue hijacking this post, so I'll get a new one up in the What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere tomorrow with some more pictures.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Ok ill be taking pics too even thought the red maple hasn't germinated yet

Richee

I made a new post. [url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=240404[/url]

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Did what you said and here is my chestnut [img]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee442/OROZCOVICTOR/2012-03-20200302.jpg[/img]

Richee

Hey,

That looks great!

It appears to have been planted right side up and everything.

Did you move it to another planter? That trunk is going to get thick and it needs the room to expand.

It looks like you left the fuzzy skin on there, but it seemed to be ok as it's sprouted. I peeled it all off, and I was left with a light peach colored wrinkled seed.

I'll post a recent picture of mine today. The large one is doing great, the one that was planted upside down is still off to a slow start. Infact, one of the trunks died back.

Both of mine have(had) two trunks, I don't think they're supposed to.. might not be good for the tree when it gets larger.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I did move it to another pot its doing much better, on the process of changing it, the seed broke apart, it didnt have a negative effect on the plant but I placed it back it the soil for looks, I try to remove some of the skin of the seed but it wouldn't come off, I'm sorry the trunk died off but I'm sure it was just robbing energy from the main one, I can't wait to see pictures from your plants.
Here is a pic of mine as of right now [img]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee442/OROZCOVICTOR/2012-04-28085909.jpg[/img]

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Looks good man. Keep doing what you are doing and gradually up pot the tree when it needs it. After reaching several feet tall you can probably put it in the ground. Make sure to find a good spot for it.

Richee

Here is mine next to one of my Lemon trees.

It gives you an idea on how big it is.

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/CN01.png[/img]

It's got all kinds of new growth coming through since it was moved to the big planter.

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/CN03.png[/img]

And here's what I am talking about with the two trunks, not sure what I should do, if anything, about it.

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/CN02.png[/img]

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I think those extra trunks should be cut off. Remove some of the dirt to see if it looks like it connects to the main trunk sorta like a branch. If not it is probably one of those root trunks. With the few trees I've grown I was told to cut them off cause they are not part of the main tree really and only take away energy from the tree.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Thanks and Yea I will take care of it and re-pot it just to see if it needs it soon, Your two plants look amazing and its huge, the lemon one is small but nice, also the new grow looks terrific, and If it was my Tree I would leave the second trunk, I wouldn't mind letting them grow a bit slow but it would look pretty cool as it gets older.

Richee

Yeah my Lemon trees all have these long thorns on them too.

Not sure how I can cut one of the trunks, wouldn't it just grow back?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well my goji tree grows stems like that too. But they come from the roots and not part of the main plant so they just suck energy. So I cut them but they come back. Eventually I might win and they won't grow back. I mulch over it so hopefully that will help. Also I hear it is better to deep water than sprinkle cause that encourages those root stems.

But I am not sure this is the case with your tree. You'd have to wipe away some dirt and see where the stem is coming from. If it is part of the main trunk I think you are ok, but if it is growing from the roots it might be best to cut it. You may wanna get some other opinions though.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Cant you guys just separate/split them that way you get 2 plants with roots?

Richee

Might be too difficult to do for me at this time, because the roots are too intertwined.

I'm not sure if I can re-root the one I cut off or not.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Oh well I got this one thing Azos and once I cut something or repot or reroot, I add it and the plants stay alive till it gets stabled, also I love you Lemon Tree, I want to Get a Key Lime so bad, but seems too long for it to grow from seed, I might might grow one or just buy one at a store, well for your plant I say you let it grow with 2 trunks besides if your growing it from seed, it should be for fun so why not grow 2 trunks for fun

soil
Greener Thumb

a few of my wild pecans have started to sprout :D

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Just looked at pecan trees on google and those things give out a huge shell, I'm thinking of growing every type of nut, at least 1 of each just for the heck of it, and Congrats on your Seedlings

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

OROZCONLECHE wrote:Oh well I got this one thing Azos and once I cut something or repot or reroot, I add it and the plants stay alive till it gets stabled, also I love you Lemon Tree, I want to Get a Key Lime so bad, but seems too long for it to grow from seed, I might might grow one or just buy one at a store, well for your plant I say you let it grow with 2 trunks besides if your growing it from seed, it should be for fun so why not grow 2 trunks for fun

Should just buy a tree. Easiest way to do it and you don;t gotta mess around with grafting and/or having other trees for pollination. They sell key lime trees and lowes and homedepot, plus I am sure local nurseries carry it too. It's gonna be like around $25 though.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Yea I do want a Key lime but I rather grow it than buying it, I might just go to Cardenas its a Mexican grocery store, they sell all this type of grafted trees all under 15 bucks, pretty damn cheap but I like the fun of growing things from seed, its just a whole new level.

soil
Greener Thumb

in the last few days a whole bunch of my wild pecan seeds sprouted seedlings. should be a good 10+ years before I get my first pecan lol.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well you gotta start somewhere. :)

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Just make sure You don't move somewere else if you plant it in the ground or 10 years sounds alright lol

Richee

OROZCONLECHE, My Almond tree suddenly died. Not sure what happened, it just started going down hill.. so I brought it indoors and put it in a window for light.. but it never recovered. I bought a bag of de-shelled raw almonds to try again... there was no way I was going to peel a bunch of seeds again, so I bought them already peeled.

But I have 4 Key Lime trees growing as well.

I could never find regular sized Limes with seeds in them, only when I bought some Key Limes did those have the seeds inside.

PunkRotten, I'm not sure what the whole grafting thing is about. Why would I need to graft something that is grown from seed? If these plants are never able to grow normally from seed, how have them not become extinct thousands of years ago? I'm sure the caveman wasnt out there grafting citrus trees. lol.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Oh man, that sucks but Trying and Trying makes us only better at doing stuff, and its a good way to start by buying deshelled nuts lol I made my self a promised of going to asian/mexican store and finding rare nuts, or any type of fruit I can or try to grow

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well some trees need other trees of their kind to cross pollinate. That is the natural way. The whole grafting technique is something gardeners started because it cuts fruiting time down and you don't have to depend on other trees. You could be waiting like 15 years for a fruit, when a grafted tree will give it to you in 1/4 that time. Grafting is also good cause essentially you are cloning another tree.

Richee

PunkRotten, what if I have several of the same type of trees growing?

I have about 7 Lemon trees growing, not gonna keep them all, but will keep a few. I also have the four Key Limes growing. Would that be enough for the pollination?

OROZCONLECHE, try some Almonds, they bloom purple and pink, look really nice and stand out from all the other trees. Google pictures of Almond trees and you'll see what I mean.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

To be honest I don't know enough about trees to really comment on that. But I do know that the more trees around eachother is better.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I am Stun That is such a beautiful tree specially the flowers Going to get this for sure, and Punk is right The More Trees the Better, Its kind of a way of Me paying back Mother Nature for all the Wrong Ive done hahahhaha

applestar
Mod

You guys are so lucky you live where you can grow almonds without worry. They won't survive the winter where I am so I never considered trying to sprout storebought almonds. But there are three winter hardy almonds I have seen in catalogs and I'm planning to get one or more of them after more research. One variety is said to be bitter to the point of inedible so I want to make sure first.

Richee

applestar, yeh bitter almonds don't sound very good. lol.

OROZCONLECHE, did you ever get your maple tree to sprout?

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Star:You should Still grow some almond and keep it indoors, I'm sure you wont need to take it outside for a couple of years.
Richee:Well I Planted them but never sprouted, I planted the last seeds I had about a month ago and Still haven't came up, I belive I might have 1 last seed, I might put it on a paper towel and see if that works

Richee

You can check your stores for any almonds in packages, just make sure they are raw almonds, not roasted. lol.

I soaked mine for a day, then peeled the brown layer off the almond seeds, and planted the very soft white seed in dirt. I don't think I peeled the first one, but did to these. I'll let you know if any of them sprout.

I also bought a thing at a craft store, it's a little green house with seeds for a Banana tree. Says it will grow Bananas from the seeds. I'm pretty sure they won't be the Dole type of Bananas we see in the stores, and will most likely have large seeds inside, but will still be interesting to grow.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Ill have to check out the store for any almond, I hope to see the ones you say, and I thought bananas don't have seeds? weird I guess, make sure to post pictures of your almonds, maybe a new thread that way we start fresh I also sprounted 2 apple seeds, and 1 of my crabapple plants is getting pretty big, ill try and post some pix today or morrow, gata run to work

applestar
Mod

I don't know if this is a good time of the year to start almonds -- fall after fresh harvest might be better? But you have a point. Maybe I'll start some and add to my bonsai wannabe collection along with the seed-grown pomegranates. 8)

Somewhere in the fruit forum, Lorax posted detailed banana cultivar/variety list about bananas and bananas with seeds, some of which are edible but most cold hardy varieties have seeds and are not edible. I think she mentioned which ones are suitable for Florida.

Richee

I'm pretty sure the Banana is edible.... or at least that's what it says on the box. Not sure what kind of Banana it is, because it doesn't say.

Here's the package I bought:
[url]https://www.dunecraft.com/products/bananabonanza.htm[/url]

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Looks pretty legit, Hope to see some updates on that

Richee

Out of 4 Almonds planted, one has already started to sprout today. It's got the dirt lifted on top, and the seed is opened up and starting to grow.

Richee

3 out of 4 Almonds have sprouted now.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”