Joe N Mel
Newly Registered

Some basic questions about the sun and soil

I've checked you tube, google, and books and I've found hundreds of different answers to my questions. First question is I started a basic garden for Mel. I took an area of grass dug it all up and turned it over. I then went though with a pitch fork and broke up the soil. Then I started researching how to build a garden ;). Do I have to dig down lay paper, then compost, and then potting soil before we plant? Also, we have all kinds of veggies. Tomatoes, peppers, carrots, lettuce, etc. We sowed the seeds in mini greenhouses during February. They are starting to die though so we need to get them in the ground I believe. Last question. I put the garden next to two trees. The sunlight will be low to medium until about 1pm everyday and then the Veggies will receive direct sunlight until 6-7 pm. Is that ok? Like I said I made the garden and then researched. Any help on this would be great. Thanks in advance,
Joe

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, laying down paper (several thicknesses of it) helps suppress the grass and other weeds from coming right back. Water the ground, put down the newsprint, water it, put down your compost and soil and water. Doing all the wetting makes sure the newsprint will break down and get out of the way once it has done its job of smothering the grass.

You don't really need potting soil, though a small amount of it might help lighten everything up. Basically what you are looking for is good quality topsoil.

Your 5-6 hrs direct sun will be fine for the carrots, perhaps a little too much for the lettuce, since it is hot afternoon sun, and a little skimpy for the tomatoes and peppers. They won't die, but they may be a little less productive than they would be with a couple more hours of sun.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You can ask 50 gardeners the question and get 50 different answers. In your area I believe farming is big, so I assume there is good soil there. It will depend on what was left on your lot after the building was done. What does the existing soil look like? Is it mellow and easy to work? Did it grow good grass? Chances are good you can just remove as much grass as possible and plant it. You don't need to go looking for soil if you already have good soil. You could add some compost as fertilizer and mix it in before planting. Have a great garden.

Joe N Mel
Newly Registered

Thanks, the soil was growing nice grass, flowers, and weeds. I'd assume the soil is good. If I would a vegetable I would like to live in it. It's dark and crumblely (If that's a word) My neighbor told me that the woman that used to own my house would grow grape vines years ago. I don't know how long ago, but I'd assume grapes need decent conditions to grow in. I may be able to extend the garden out a couple feet to get more sun for the tomatoes and peppers. Not sure yet though. I'm sure the raccoons are going to reap the benefits of the garden much more than we will. Thanks for your help now as soon as it stops raining I can start.

Joe N Mel
Newly Registered

:lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”