kaaryn

killing a raspberry without hurting other plants?

There are some raspberry canes just starting to poke through the ground around the base of some of my rose bushes. Is there a way to kill them off without hurting the roses, and without having to dig them up? I was thinking about maybe brushing roundup onto the leaves?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hi Kaaryn!

Digging up really is the best way. Roundup can potentially hurt your roses (among other things). Shame it is so close to your roses - just be gentle and you'll have no trouble. :)

kaaryn

Thanks - yeah, my neighbor thinks I'm crazy for going to all this trouble for a bunch of roses that are "just wild". But I love them, they're really pretty in bloom. So I'm rescuing them from raspberries on one side and knotweed on the other... it was not a pretty picture!!! It's getting there though. Now the new raspberries and the knotweed buds are both starting to peek through, so I am finding all the ones that I missed!

a white rabbit

..Round-up, and strong, it's your only answer, but caarrreeeefffuulllyyyyy and when the raspbery is in lucious growth, so earlyish in the season, you may have to repeat the following year...

..it passes via the leaf pores so avoid splashing your roses, like prune back the roses first..

Return to “All Other Fruit”