kaswell
Newly Registered

Help!! Growing peonies from seed?

Hi All!
My brother in law got married this past weekend, and they had BEAUTIFUL peony arrangements. My question is this: is it possible to use the seed pods from the cut arrangements to grow my own plants once they die? If this is a stupid questions, just let me down easy! ;) My thumbs are far from green. But I'm trying to learn! :) Thanks!!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can grow peony plants from seeds. The problem is that they don't produce the same blooms as were on the original plant that you got the seeds from. The blooms may be more like wild peonies, which are single flowers.

Wild peonies can be quite attractive in their own way, much as wild roses are, but they aren't the fancy double flowers that one usually thinks of when imagining peonies.

I would say go ahead and plant some of the seeds, just to see what kind of blooms you get. You can always buy some double-flowered plants to add to your garden. You may find that you like the ones you get from seed just as well. :)

This pic is of one type of wild peony. Some are prettier than others.

[img]https://www.types-of-flowers.org/pictures/wild_peony.jpg[/img]

klevelyn
Cool Member

The seeds need to be mature. Usually after the flower has spent and the seed dry. But you can give it a try.

HannahGrace

I've been wondering this myself. My boss has several peony bushes in the landscape and, while I loved them before, I've come to love them even more since I've actually handled and smelled them! I've been debating between getting a plant (there's a big peony nursery about 30 minutes from here) and trying to grow some from seeds or cuttings.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I love my peonies, too. :)

I had an in-ground irrigation system installed about 3 years ago, and the landscaper replanted my peonies at that time. They haven't bloomed since, which is quite normal for them. They hate being disturbed. This year, they're absolutely covered with big, fat buds, though. I'm so pleased! :D

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”