sylvia lamont
Newly Registered

bay leaf tree

Hi
Can anyone help I have what I think is a bay leaf tree on my garden, however it has no taste or smell. Is there anyway to tell before I start adding it to my food? :?:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If it has no taste and smell, it is not bay leaf!

If you post a picture of it, someone will be able to identify what kind of tree you have.

thurkun

There are many things that look like Bay but are toxic when ingested, when in doubt don't eat it. The leaves should smell when rubbed or crushed and you should get a bay smell from the wood if you break a branch.
Pat

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:If it has no taste and smell, it is not bay leaf!

If you post a picture of it, someone will be able to identify what kind of tree you have.
Good advice. I use lots of bay leaf in my cooking and they do have a very distinct and fairly strong aroma, especially when picked fresh off the tree.

To me, the smell is similar to if you tear a leaf off a magnolia tree and get a whiff of it.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Here where I live, there are a couple of different species of laurel that are grown. They're often used for hedges. They look pretty much identical to the one used for cooking, except they have no scent. I had a hedge of them at the house I owned prior to the one I live in now. I'm thinking you probably have one of those.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Make sure it is not Oleander.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”