lily51
Greener Thumb

Anyone combine lavender in containers?

What annual flower woul go with a small lavender plant in a container?
Was originally going to do just an herb container garden, but then thought about one lavender and adding some colorful annual(s).
Any ideas?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Maybe Chamomile?

applestar
Mod

How small? You need to seriously consider identical/similar care requirements and use large enough container to accommodate both/all plants.

How about sweet alyssum while lavender is small, then portulaca, then pot marigold/calendula or Mexican marigold. You'll need a bigger container for each successive selection.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Thanks! I like the ideas you've given me.
I was going to use a small lavenula that I've grown from seed.
They are easy to work with, bloom the first year and don't get big like the true lavenders.

I can envision some nice containers with these combos.
Just wanting to branch out(!) from the standard containers and try something a little different!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's not annual, but I have a container that is lavender and coreopsis mixed together. As Applestar points out, they have similar culture requirement. And I love the purple and yellow flower combination. Thyme and lavender can share a container, with the thyme draping down over the edge.

Applestar gave you good suggestions. Others might include California poppies, dwarf cosmos.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Thanks rainbow! I love coreopsis.
And after visiting a cousin in Ca the last three winters,
I have fallen in love with their gardens in Jan....they mix in the California poppy everywhere, so I started some this year.
They pull all their flowers at the end of "the season" and replace (they are in low desert area) so my cousin didn't know if they would come back or reseed or what. Do you know their behavior in Ohio?

I also just thought of calendula. What do you think?
It's not that I don't like the standard petunias and geraniums in all the containers around here, just ready for something new.

Thanks again and add anything else you might think of!

brooklyn boy
Cool Member

Just out of curiosity did you grow the lavender from seed ?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I did, why?

brooklyn boy
Cool Member

rainbowgardener wrote:I did, why?
how did you successfully get the seeds to germinate?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pretty much the same as other seeds. I germinate most warm season plants on a heat mat. Lavender needs a soil temp of at least 70 deg F. And I don't bury the seeds, just lightly press them in so they are in contact with the soil and then dust a little bit of potting soil over them. Otherwise just as in the Seed Starting Basics sticky thread in the Seed Starting Forum.

They take a couple weeks to germinate and then they grow very slowly. By the end of the first season, you have a little plant, maybe 6" tall.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I start lavenders from seeds, also. Seeds are started early, like January!
Even though I don't use heat mats, all my seed trays are started in the kitchen and set on old throw rugs since the counter is cool.
Some people set trays on top of the fridge for heat.
True lavender takes more patience, but the lavendula are easy to grow.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Lavender seeds just require patience, and the correct temps.

As far as the flowers go, why not grow ones that attract beneficial insects or deter the bad ones? I always put out some marigolds for their repellent properties. And calendula works wonders for stopping itching on my kids' bug bites.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I do grow a lot of flowers and other plants that attract beneficial insects or help repel bad guys. But I use the lavender in herbal tea blends, in cooking (lavender chocolate cake/ brownies, lavender biscotti), I make lavender essential oil, which I use in soaps, lotions, candles, etc...

Man (and woman!) does not live by veggies alone!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I'd go calendula then :) I grow the lavender too. I fill tea bags with the leaves and put them in my pillow. Every time I shift at night a get a breath of the lavender....I LOVE it! :)

lily51
Greener Thumb

The calendula I have is Orange Pom pom so the color
Would look great with the lavenders' blue. Think I'll give it a try... And I have a periwinkle blue ceramic pot to put them in..it'll be beautiful!
Have also put together an all herb container with a thumblelina lavender, thyme, spicy oregano and a kent beauty oregano.
Will report back during summer for updates.
Thinking of doing at least one more with lavender...it'll be my theme for the year.
Thanks again for all your ideas!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”