Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Clay added to my seed starting mix for up potting!

The problem I see the most when up potting into flats or 6 pack cubes is the soil dries out two fast. I have been mixing my potting soils with some clay weedless soil from a under the surface area where I dug the top layer off! The mix seems to hold moisture longer What do you think? Has anyone tried this?. I can post but cannot read any replies or even my post after I post. Anyone have any Ideas what is wrong with my MSN unit! I can read all PMs so if there are any questions PM me! Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Clay seems quite counter-intuitive, since what we usually want in any kind of container is well draining. Let us know how it works out for you.

PM webmaster about the problems you are having.

Rabbits2

This is bobberman on a computer. I did not find the problem but it must be in my MSN web tv. So anyway I will be here on the weekends to catch up on my post. I did use the clay mix in my seedlings and it seems to be working better than the bought mixes since it does not dry out as fast. I will see how they grow now. I will check out the clay cat litter! My lettuce is ready to eat and my peas are 2 foot high both in cold frames!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

well, I can say from experience of having left cat litter outdoors accidentally that cat litter when wet turns into a nasty, slimy solid lump.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The clay makes a nice mix for planters since it holds moisture onger!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Have you actually tried it? Cat litter breaks down into a gooey mess...

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”