mrich
Newly Registered

New guy, please help with layout

Hi all,
New to the forum, new to gardening and new to SFG. I was hoping someone could give me some feedback on my layout and if I'm too late for some of these planting, I am in zone 6a and I have a community garden plot that is 5x16. Not ideal, I know but it is what it is. Might be kind of hard to read but I have given the tomatoes empty squares around them so they have room to grow. Also, I have a trellis for to the zucchini, cucumber and beans. Lastly the wife wants some space for cutting flowers. This is what I have come up with:

[img]https://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/morganrich2/SFG2012.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... I just found this in unanswered posts. I wrote a big long reply yesterday, which seems to have totally disappeared. I've got to leave for work now, will try to get back to it later... sorry.

nes
Green Thumb

Unless you're very tall (I am not), you're going to have a hard time reaching into those plots to weed, I'm assuming they are 5' wide with a fence or something around them? You want to leave some space to move around so you're not squishing your produce :); I would plan for an aisle way down the middle.

You can grow things under your tomatoes, like lettuces, or basil does especially well. If you're squished for space, you may want to get indeterminate toms.

If you like radish you can grow them over your carrot rows, this marks the rows & because of different finishing times they won't compete with each other.

You probably only want one zucchini plant unless you REALLY love zucchini. They're very prolific. I would grow 2 fresh-eating cucumber varities and one pickling if you're doing to do 3 :).

You can do lots in a small space, 5 x 16 isn't that small :)

mrich
Newly Registered

Hey guys thanks for the response, I was starting to think I would not get any help!

Nes, it is a raised bed so there is no fence but I was thinking about some stepping stones down the middle. So the toms will not shade out Basel? That's kind of cool, how far should I plant from the stem, 6 inches? I like zucchini but perhaps peas would be a good sub?

Rainbow, looking forward to your thoughts!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, hi. I'm in Cincinnati too. I was thinking similarly to nes. You have it all laid out in nice neat squares, very orgsnized, but some times things do better and you g et more use of your very limited space, if you mix them together more. Onions and carrots don't take up a lot of room. They can be planted around the edges of otherstuff. Onions are good mixed thru your garden because they help repel insects.

(Incidentally, sorry for the bad typing. My computer isn't wanting to work tonight, so I'm on my Nook with the little virtual keyboard on screen. Much more cumbersome.)

You didn't say if you are planting seed or transplants. Broccpli, cauliflower, and cabbage are all cold weather crops that don't do well once it gets hot. I start my broccoli from seed indoors in late January and put it in the garden in mid-March. It's making heads now and then will be done soon. It is probably not too late to plant it if you can find well started transplants at a good nursery.

Are you planting onion sets. Onions are very slow from seed. I plant onion seed in the fall to harvest the next summer.
No six inches from the stem of a tomato plant is way too close to plant the basil. Remember your tomato plant is goig to get huge. The basil would get totally shaded out.

mrich
Newly Registered

Hey Rainbow,

Yes I am planning on using transplants for the eggplant, cucumber, tomato, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Perhaps too late already for the broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. I was going to use onion sets, is it too late for that as well??

Should I scrap the cold weather items and go with toms, peppers, melon, beans, peas, beet, carrot, turnip, cucumbers, lettuce and zucchini?

Initially I was going to start everything from seed but it seemed too much to handle for a person with no experience at all. Perhaps with a fall crop.

Thanks again!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”