HonoluluGirl

zucchini and yellow squash - I think I made a mistake

Ok, don't laugh. This is my first year gardening. I thought zucchini and yellow squash grow on vines? I planted them near a trellis, but I just looked up some pictures on the internet and it looks like they don't grow up trellises? Dang. I guess I'll be moving them this weekend. Or is it possible or desirable to train them to grow up the trellis? Thanks!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You could train them up the trellis. You would likely have to tie them to it with strips of rag. Those varieties will grow a vine about 4 feet long.

missourigardener1
Newly Registered

First off, no one should be mocking you for making a beginners mistake like that. There's a learning curve when it comes to gardening, so on behalf of every other gardener, welcome to the hobby. The trellis is unnecessary, but it won't hurt your plants. Zucchini is more of a bush type plant, and depending on the yellow squash variety, it may be too. Enjoy your garden!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is not even much of a beginners mistake - many squashes now come in both bush and vine varieties. The breeders work on developing bush varieties because they take up less room.

Wierdly enough, the seed sellers don't tell you. For example, I believe this early golden crookneck (yellow) squash is a vining type:

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/squash/summer/crookneck/squash-summer-early-golden-crookneck-prod000911.html

but the ad tells you nothing about what kind of plant you are going to get.

I did notice that one of the reader comments says the squash vine borers don't attack it. Maybe I will still start some!

HonoluluGirl

Thank you both for your replies! I'm going to leave them where they are and see what comes up.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”