btrowe1

Amazing what a little real rain can do..

Haven"t had much rain here since planting a few things a few weeks ago.
Last night a few heavy storms came through and its amazing how things perk right up after getting some real water.
Onions popped right through the soil and I can now see the the little tops and the brussels look much better too.

amazing..

Duets

I know just what you mean, we also got some good rain, & it never rains here, (desert NV). Things look so much better after a good soaking rain.

klevelyn
Cool Member

I think this last storm started on the west coast and ended on the east coast. My peas and onions are coming up finally after 3 weeks. The sun shine really helps too.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

btrowe1 wrote:Last night a few heavy storms came through and its amazing how things perk right up after getting some real water.
No kidding! It rained right after I tilled, and I just haven't had any time to go in and kill the weedlings that came up. Now I have 4000 sf of grown weeds to hoe down :(.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

btrowe1 wrote:Haven"t had much rain here since planting a few things a few weeks ago.
Last night a few heavy storms came through and its amazing how things perk right up after getting some real water.
Onions popped right through the soil and I can now see the the little tops and the brussels look much better too.

amazing..
I'll +a million this! The first onions are starting to come through, the brussels sprouts shot up and are growing quick, even the plants that I've got hardened off and sitting on the front porch and looking happy, growing like crazy, and generally doing well!

Lintu

My potatoes and beans finally sprouted today after the soaking rain yesterday. I was actually worried that they were going to be completely overwatered or that the slight chill would inhibit them.

applestar
Mod

It's true. We also had a 24 hour rain that has really deep soaked everything that needed it and the entire garden looks fresh and everybody looks as if they jumped in size.

...and another benefit: I had to MAKE myself come inside after gleefully pulling weeds and seedling weed trees and shrubs that come out like a charm out of the wet ground for hours and hours. :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:It's true. We also had a 24 hour rain that has really deep soaked everything that needed it and the entire garden looks fresh and everybody looks as if they jumped in size.

...and another benefit: I had to MAKE myself come inside after gleefully pulling weeds and seedling weed trees and shrubs that come out like a charm out of the wet ground for hours and hours. :lol:
Aggreed a good rain there is nothing like.

Apple could you gleefuly come and pull weeds at my house. Those pesky ones around the carrots and lettuce etc that are so hard to mulch.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:
Hehehe! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of the weeds coming out of the ground easier than normal and spending about an hour, or more, attacking one of the flower beds to clear out part of it!

soil
Greener Thumb

Apple could you gleefuly come and pull weeds at my house. Those pesky ones around the carrots and lettuce etc that are so hard to mulch.
your supposed to mulch before putting down carrot and lettuce seed.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:Now I have 4000 sf of grown weeds to hoe down :(.
This looks like a beautiful cover crop. Too bad it's just weeds:
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/LottaWeeds.jpg[/img]

I hoed out about 1/4 of it in 45 minutes this morning, but it's going to rain tomorrow, and I'm worried it will regrow faster than I can hoe it!

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Well, I got about half of that hoed out on Tuesday and Wednesday morning, but Wed night we got about 1/2" of rain, so it's all muddy right now, and I don't really feel like getting out there in the mud.

It's stopped raining, and it's supposed to warm up, so I fully expect an explosion of growth before I can get out there with the hoe again.

Maybe I should step up my efforts to [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=240561#240561]buy my own rototiller[/url].

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

We have not had much rain either and we just got one of those perfect slow light soaker rains and my broccoli just about jumped out of the ground it has doubled in size and I have 1/4 inch heads starting. It went from this.
[img]https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/Johnfor3/garden2012.jpg[/img]
To this in just over a week
[img]https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/Johnfor3/smallbox2010.jpg[/img]

btrowe1

pictures speak a thousand words..

mhannum
Cool Member

It does make a huge difference.

Here in Maryland, some of the local pine trees were starting to turn yellow from the drought - thankfully, we've had some rain in the past week or so, and things are looking better out there.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
TheWaterbug wrote:Now I have 4000 sf of grown weeds to hoe down :(.
This looks like a beautiful cover crop. Too bad it's just weeds:
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/LottaWeeds.jpg[/img]

I hoed out about 1/4 of it in 45 minutes this morning, but it's going to rain tomorrow, and I'm worried it will regrow faster than I can hoe it!
3 hours and a handful of blisters later, it's mostly gone:
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/NoMoreWeeds_w.jpg[/img]

You can't really tell from the photos, but the tomatoes on the lower left have perked up, so the rain was good.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”