Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Don't jump the gun with the nice weather!

My cold frame is not getting much use these days so its a early raised bed! What lerks around the corner before may maybe a few days of frost or even 20 degree waather. My greenhouse has been up to 120 very dangerous to my new seedlings! Don't put those plants out too early! I played it safe and stuck with peas onions potatoes and lettuce in raised beds so far with all growing fine!! I am afraid of my peach blossoms a month to early! WOW what a early spring or is this just the ides of March taking advantage of our hurry to spring?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I had been thinking the same thing, but have you seen the jet stream path recently. The pattern appears firmly set and the weather is getting so settled. With the Jet stream running all the way north into Canada, even if it were to shift south, where would any cold air come from? I'm going to wait one more week, then will set several of my oldest tomato plants in the ground. Even though I'm in zone 8, we still usually have frost into the 2nd or 3rd week of April. There has been nothing typical about this year however, and I'm about to buy into the idea of a totally frost free spring, probably up to Virginia or higher.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:I'm about to buy into the idea of a totally frost free spring, probably up to Virginia or higher.
It is tempting.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm with hendi... these seems like a very settled weather pattern. The ten day forecast gets us to the end of March now. I'm for jumping the gun, plant as soon as you can. Just be prepared to cover things if needed and save some in reserve in case of disaster.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

yep we got a few inches of snow this weekend but I am thinking about starting my tomatoes in another week or two. I like my tomato starts to be 6 to 8 weeks old. My last frost date is at the end of May so it is getting close...

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

This warm weather even in a unheated greenhouse is making my plants grow faster. My water barrels have gone up from a average 45 degrees to 60 so I will have my plants ready by may with ease!

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

Planted Potatoes yesterday. The soil felt very warm. As in middle of May warm. The ponds are warming pretty fast as well, we have loads of Tadpoles. I have to agree that the weather pattern seems very stable right now. Middle to end of April may be different, but if we get a cold night or two our fruit trees and berries will be hurting. Just about everything is starting to flower. Rhubarb is already a couple inches tall as well.

I'm still going to wait until end of April to decide on the tomatoes, peppers, squash, corn, and beans. Normal planting day for warm season crops is mothers day.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I planted potatoes a few days ago too. Applestar's phenological signs say plant them when the forsythia blooms, and it is blooming! I never did believe the mothers day thing for planting tomatoes. I'm in zone 6A and I usually plant tomatoes right around my average last frost date, which is April 15. Some years that means there are some nights after they go in when they need to be covered with cold caps, but I've never really lost any to cold. I think it gets them off to an earlier start. They may not grow very much while it is still cold, but they are putting down roots, so they are ready to take off as soon as it warms up. This year I will put them out as soon as I can get them hardened off.....

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

Our date for average last frost is second week of May . That is why I usually plan for Mothers Day. It makes the wife happy that day to see plants going in and has become a little tradition.

The forsythia is blooming like crazy for sure. Cherries and peaches are in bloom, Blueberries are real close to blooming. It is an odd year and I do not mind covering up plants but, it feels unnatural or wrong to plant tomatoes this early. I just got some seeds going indoors anyhow and have nothing to plant for a while. :oops:

mattie g
Green Thumb

Since I'm pretty new to the whole gardening thing and don't have the hardware to grow from seed (and have a very small garden), I ordered plants this year. But they won't be coming until the first couple weeks of April, so I won't be tempted to put any out right now!

Such abnormally warm weather has to break at some time. Just looking at the long-range weather models, it looks like there's a chance we could have a little chilly snap in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest somewhere in the 10- to 15-day timeframe. Weather models showed potential cold in the long range most of the winter, so it's not a guarantee, but just something to keep an eye out for.

barnhardt9999

I only have spots for 6 tomatoes and 6 squash and had about 20 tomato seedlings and 15 squash seelings come up. I put 6 and 6 in ground last weekend with no projected lows below 50 for 10 days. It was just too tempting to get a head start. I figure there is still a 50/50 shot that a cold snap comes through and wipes them out but I have plenty of backups. Assuming all goes well I will not have to replant and will have plenty for friends and family.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Winter is almost over! Tomorrow is the first day of spring! Our weather forecast here does show some return to more normal temps, but normal for the season now is around 55 degrees for high (today we are at 85!) with lows above freezing. So even though we hopefully do come back to normal, it will still be ok to have things out. Nothing in our forecast is looking like any below normal temps.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I don't think it's going to get cold here again. But still I err on the side of caution. We have had almost 2 weeks of 80's breaking record highs almost every other day. I'm still taking it easy. We got slammed late last year, I want to say around the first of April with a devasting freeze to most of all the grape/wine growers. It didin't effect me but still.......

That being said am I planting. Well what do you think?

I am prepared.

I even have tomato seeds in the ground outside. They are racing their indoor starter partners. 8) When putting them in I saw a ton of tomato volunteers, so here is hoping for the best this season. It is going to be crazy I can feel that already.

Good luck/weather to all of you.
Last edited by gixxerific on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah tomorrow is my birthday so I can plant whatever I want right? Especially in a leap year if I remember right. :P

The first full day of Spring is my birthday. My sister first day of Fall my dad ( how I miss him) first day of Summer. My mom well she lost her ticket and missed the boat. :(

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Well then, Dono, tomorrow we will all wish you a happy birthday, spring boy! And since you CAN plant whatever you want (and somehow I believe that you will), what would it be, Sir? :lol:

I always take chance with few plants, and has paid off so far, since I always have spares, doesn't really bother me. And I'm ready to cover those few well. So yes, jumping the gun (again), but the weather just seem to be so steady!

Otherwise, just the cold weather crops are in the ground for now, and are too ready to be covered if needed.

Good luck to all, and happy gardening!

Regards,
D

btrowe1

All the trees are blooming up here, this is not normal at all, never been 79 degrees on march 22 in the 33 years I've lived here. I want to plant some onions and cabbage but, Even I know its too early, lately there's been a steady stream of canadian geese flying north, and robins and even the NY state blue bird has showed up ( thats a real new one for this early, usually may for them) . butterflys are out also.. Just watch next year we'll get the stuff they had over there in Europe..

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've started putting some tender annuals in the ground. Will likely put out a few tomato transplants next week. Everything is so settled. All of the trees, vines, and other perennials are putting out as if it were late April. I figure that if I'm wrong, my price won't be nearly as dear as that paid by the multitude of plants and animals who have decided that it is mid to late spring.

applestar
Mod

Here, forecast low for Monday night is 28°F which means my garden could go down to 25°F :eek:

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Upper 30's for Mon and Tue here, which means in the lower 30's for my micro climate. Looks like one string of Christmas lights will be wrapped around the tomato cage and a huge trash can will cover it all.

As for cool weather crop, will still cover them, just for a good measure, the good ole hoops are setup. We shall prevail!!! :flower:

Good luck to all who DID jump the gun!

Regards,
D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We will get a bit of cool down, but that just means highs go down from 80's to 60's, still a bit above normal. Lowest low in the 10 day forecast is Mon night 40 degrees (which is at least 42 in my urban heat island micro-climate). After that it goes back up again. I don't have warm weather stuff out yet, so I am fine....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Temps are still good here. A little lower but now we have big storms coming with small hail.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Ten day forecast: lowest hi = 71 degrees; lowest low = 46 degrees That gets us to April 2nd. While we might still have a frost any time before about the third week in April, it is looking less and less like that will happen.

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

Calling for a low of 23f with 15-20mph winds monday night. Tuesday low is 34f. :x

Glad I didn't put out any Maters or peppers yet. I'll be covering what is in the ground and hopefully it will be enough.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

That wam weather tricked most people and its still cold at night with two frost in the last week! It was so cold a week ago thgat some things in my small non heated greenhouse to harden off plants had some freeze inside! I had three red bean climbing flowers about 15 inchs high that were killed inside! It went down to about 20 that night!

mattie g
Green Thumb

Looks like the weather models I mentioned a few posts back were pretty good in sniffing out the "cool" shot that punched in here recently. Looks like another ten days or so of seasonable weather that has its temperature peaks and valleys, then a zonal flow kicks in, which should moderate things nicely.

Likelihood is that we've had our last frost here (yesterday morning), but I'm not willing to chance it just yet!

estorms

Our frost free date is May 15th. I don't care. I want to plant something. As soon as my husband tills, I will put in some peas... I want to plant early and use hot kaps.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

After a month or more hovering around 80 a few day's just recently over 90 and now a few day's of possible frost.

Gotta love St Louis weather.

Still keep an eye out for temp swings people.

probe1957

We had frost here in central IL last night. I think April 15 is supposed to be our frost free date. Last year I planted tomatoes and peppers on April 14. Most all killed by a frost a week later. Waiting until May 1 this year.

Next weekend is the big plant sale at the fairgrounds. Tilled the garden last night. Getting antsy. Must be strong and wait. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm waiting till may first as well. Well ther will be a few that go out earlier I'm sure. But most will have to wait.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Good idea to wait, especially those of you in the Midwest. It might get a bit chilly at night for a bit coming up. I think I'll be OK to plant next weekend here in Northern VA, as a zonal flow kicks in about that time and should keep things fairly mild.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Frost tonight here as well, maybe tomorrow too...

Tunnel covers works great, all the cool weather crops and herbs are still alive and well, and the lonely, in-ground single tomato plant just keeps putting on the flowers and setting fruit in clusters. Frost blanket and Christmas lights kept the temperature inside the cover at 65 while the coldest we've had so far 26F.

Looks like next year, I will set 2 earliest in the ground in very early as well...
Regards,
D

megany

I've officially decided it's safe for me to plant. The ground here never froze, so it is completely thawed. Temperatures have been consistently above 60. Usually in the 70s.

Every day that I've waited has been killing me -- especially when I think about how big my plants would be by now! The cucumber seedlings I started aren't quite ready yet (and something happened to our tomato and squash ones...they didn't quite make it), but we're headed to a nursery on Wednesday to pick up some extra tomatoes, peppers and some squash.

It should be okay, right? I can always cover them, worst case scenario...

mattie g
Green Thumb

It's ugly out there. Temps are threatening to drop into the mid-30s once or twice this week, so I'm a little on edge since I'll be gone all week!

Looks like it's time for the wife to continue developing her green thumb by giving me a little help if the plants need it!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

The ground hasn't froze here at all...Heck I don't think it even froze this winter! I have snowpeas, beets, carrots, herbs, lettuce and artichokes out right now. I just put the artichokes out last week. I have tomatoes and melons started and I REALLY want to put them in the ground but it's so cold now. It was up to 90 last week! Now we're down in 40s at night and 50s during the day. Even down to upper 30s! Jeez. I just want to get all my stuff in the ground. The melons are NOT liking being in pots and I doubt they'll transplant into the ground well. I might ditch them. I have seeds to use.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

mattie g wrote:It's ugly out there. Temps are threatening to drop into the mid-30s once or twice this week, so I'm a little on edge since I'll be gone all week!...
The weather has indeed been a roller coaster in VA! We too had few frost nights, but everything survived. Kinda glad that I didn't plant but 4 tomatoes in the ground, makes it so much easier to cover them up in the evening hours...

On the positive note, tonight may actually be the last "possible frost" night here in the boonies. So Friday - here I come, warm weather crops to be planted!

And two days of the steady rain was a certainly welcome. I think it's been about 1.5 months with out it. All the cold weather crops seem to just get a huge boost of growth overnight!

Regards,
D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

We just barely dodged the bullet last night. Temps dropped down to 38 degrees. I ran the sprinklers from 3 a.m. until about 9 a.m. this morning. No harm done that I can see. We have lots of 4 foot to 5 foot tomato plants in the ground and in very large containers, way too much to cover or heat. Thankfully the temperatures didn't drop further.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

We're still holding tough in the high 40's mid 50's at night here.... just put a big max pumpkin plant in the ground- a risk, I know, but I guess there's only one way to find out! Still holding onto the watermelon- daytime temps are mid 50s almost 60s- but windy. They're already hardened off so I;m not quite sure if I should be bringing them back inside or not!

mattie g
Green Thumb

Looking like this weekend could be a chilly one in the eastern half of the country...

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

mattie g wrote:Looking like this weekend could be a chilly one in the eastern half of the country...
No kidding!

I watched the weather forecast and Sunday's weather has changed about a dozen times in the past two days, going to as low as 46 daytime and 34 night times to now up to 51 and 39, which still means frost for me little micro climate...

Frost we had on the windows this morning and grass... 2 Cukes and 4 Tomato plants were covered though, and doing just fine. 6 tomato plants in containers are flat up against the southside of the garage, so it stays warmer there, and I parked a car intentionally next to them, just a little barrier, so uncovered, all survived just fine.

Anywho, doesn't look like I'd be planting anything until Monday now... Oh well, that's the fun of gardening, adapt as we go!

Regards,
D

SPierce
Greener Thumb

We're going to be going down to 32 this upcoming sunday- good thing I haven't planted anything other than my cold weather stuff yet! Also time to put a cover of some sort over the pumpkin plant, too!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”