dtlove129

Drip Irrigation

I just bought a rain bird set up, and the diagram shows the actual connection going straight into the faucet. Well my faucet is a good 100 feet from my house, so can I just run my regular garden hose out to my garden like I always do to water and then hook the backflow preventer, filter, regulator, adatpor and stuff to my garden hose and then into the drip system?

soil
Greener Thumb

yes you can

dtlove129

Soil, thank you! I bought the rain bird system and it has hoses that have emitters every 18" and plus I'll run some 1 and 2 gallon emitters off of it with 1/4 inch hoses. Now I'm wonder how many feet of 1/2'' emitter hose can I run and have enough water pressure to actually make the whole system work. Do you know how far you can run these things? I'm thinking I'll eventually have 250 foot of the emitter hose (18" emitter spacing) and I'll probably be running an additional 100 of the 1gph emitters off of those with 1/4 inch tubing.

soil
Greener Thumb

just make sure you don't have too much pressure. too little wont hurt, too much will.

dtlove129

Got it installed this weekend and it works awesome. Very impressed by the results of my first watering with it. My only concern is come winter. I know I can't take the thing apart because those barbed connections are tight fitting. I almost got a hernia just pulling a couple apart where I made mistakes, so to pull it all apart would be deadly for me. I'm hoping I can just get most of the water out of it for winter.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”