welvistarn
Newly Registered

over watering? tomato plants with yellow leaves

I planted my garden a week ago and had been watering every day. I've noticed that several of the plants have some yellowed leaves near the base and everything I'm reading seems to indicate I've over watered the plants. I haven't mulched yet but that's happening tomorrow and I'm sure will help. Am I in the clear if I just chill it on the water and get everything mulched? I appear to have lost a cucumber plant already thanks thanks to my over doing it so I'm hoping I can salvage things.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

twice a week.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Interesting. I water my tomatoes/cucumber plants twice a day and they're producing nicely, except for a couple weird shaped cucumbers, but the rest of the cucs look almost store bought. And I don't have any yellow leaves on either plants.

Although my plants are hyper sensitive if they don't get enough water....keep in mind my area is in a severe drought. They'll start to wilt if I don't water them on a regular basis.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's hard to give any measurement of how often to water, because it depends very much on soil consistency, heat, humidity etc. But most garden plants do not like to stay wet all the time and do better if the top inch or two of soil dries out in between waterings. For most of us this time of year, if the weather is not hot and dry, once or twice a week of deep watering is sufficient and that is if it doesn't rain in that time period.

Duets

If over watering isn't the cause.....it could be other possibilities as well.

Lack of nitrogen, or sometimes pests such as psyllids, flea beetles, tomato hornworms, whiteflies and aphids. Determine if pests are the problem by checking the underside of the leaves.

A fungus or virus can do this too.

Are your tomatoes "disease resistant"?

Read more: Why Are My Tomato Plants' Leaves Turning Yellow? | eHow.com https://www.ehow.com/facts_5572047_tomato-plants-leaves-turning-yellow.html#ixzz1t88KaIBC

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Some yellowing of the lower leaves is often seen on nursery plants just moved into the outdoors. Those leaves developed in conditions of much less intense light. Put them in direct sun and they can't handle it so they turn yellow and eventually die. Not a problem as long as the new growth looks good, don't worry.

About watering, newly transplanted plants need to be watered often for the first week or two, but after they get established, a deep watering once a week is sufficient. Well, depends a bit on conditions of soil, temperature, humidity etc. Once a week watering is what my garden gets no matter what the weather.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”