SueMO
Newly Registered

Northwest Bleeding Hearts- help!

I planted new bleeding hearts in a north side of house that doesn't get any sun in WA state last spring. I got some blooms and thought this year they would be better. I am worried. the spot. I am not seeing them emerge from the soil at all! The planted area is very wet. I am not seeing any sign of them coming up. I have a marker where thay are. I had read they might be rotten? Have I planted them too deep...like burying the crown? Other people say I needed to add sand when I planted them. could they be slow in coming up...the weather has not warmed here very much. What can I do....I am afraid to dig at them to see if they are still ok. If I do so I am worried I might harm the roots.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You would not disturb them much if you popped them up. Then you'll see if they are rotten. They like mositure, but.

applestar
Mod

Bleeding hearts are somewhat slower to come up. If you havent had heat waves like we have ths spring, it's very possible they are still sleeping. Mine are in flower right now after our second heat wave of upto 90°F.

SueMO
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Bleeding hearts are somewhat slower to come up. If you havent had heat waves like we have ths spring, it's very possible they are still sleeping. Mine are in flower right now after our second heat wave of upto 90°F.
No heat here...slow to get warm in this area and especial in the spot I planted...although my Hostas, columbines and forget-me-nots are doing well. I am hesitant to pop one up just yet...maybe if they don't start by May 5th.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Mine aren't up yet. Another month, I'm thinking. :)

SueMO
Newly Registered

Kisal wrote:Mine aren't up yet. Another month, I'm thinking. :)
I love these plants so much and am anciaous(SP) to have a ton of them in the future. I guess I'm gonna buy more and plant more this year as well as columbines. I wish I could just propagate Trilliums but it seems the woods are the only place I get to enjoy them.

Lissajane
Newly Registered

I have grown these plants for yrs, am in NC and I have several that are in full flower now, but the ones I planted last year still have not come through, they are slow to start, I would expect a good show next year, don't lose hope

Return to “Perennials”