diane21
Newly Registered

Gardening tools!

Hi,
I want to buy some gardening tools. I am little confused, Please suggest me some useful gardening tools.
Thanks for any help.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Larger tools I own include a nice shovel for digging, hoe for weeding and cultivating, two rakes---one with springy tines for raking leaves and the other with very heavy tines for flattening my row tops and heavier work, a post hole digger for setting my trellises in the ground. I also have a used 5 hp tiller I picked up several years ago.

My smaller hand tools include a nice pair of garden pruning shears, a small hand spade for planting, a 3 tined cultivator for working in tight spots and a good size roll of twine used to tie up plants like tomatoes and tie back canes for my blackberry plants to the trellis.

With the above combination you should be able to do anything you need to do in the garden on any given day.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I would add several of those foam garden kneelers to the list. We each use two at a time so we can kneel on one and move to the next one. We keep a few more for when we put then away where they don't belong.

We bought a garden seed spreader that the jury is still out on. It worked beautifully on pink eye peas. The bush beans haven't popped up yet. If it does work as advertised , it's right up there with sliced bread. I'll know for sure in another week.

If you buy a tiller, spend money and get a reversing tiller. Mine works me to death and I've read several posts here where people say they can run theirs with one hand. When mine dies, I'll get a nice one so my wife can till.

Don't scrimp on the wheel barrow either.

Buy a good hat too.

applestar
Mod

I don't think garden fork was mentioned. Absolutely essential. I am short and prefer D handled full length tools. I have flat garden shovel but tend to use the pointy curved spade? Shovel? More. And my new love is stirrup-action hoe. I bought a narrow 3-1/2" wide one but am planning to get the 5" one as well. Rakes of both types as mentioned, small triangle hoe for making furrows. If you have lots of lawn, 1/2 moon sod cutter. Straight handled metal manure fork for working the compost pile, small headed pointy curved spade for planting/digging in small spaces.

For shrt handled tools, Japanese hand weeder and hand sickle, hand trowel, hori hori with serrated edge. Bulb planter. Hand fork. I'm now looking for short handled version of the stirrup hoe.

Good by-pass pruners and long handled loppers, pruning saw. Waterproof garden boots.

Buckets in several sizes, wheelbarrow as mentioned, also I consider my Rubbermaid one piece bucket/hand truck essential. Garden hoses, soaker hoses, and male and female innie and outie hose end connectors. Good sprinklers. Hose-end sprayer with multiple settings.

Leather or otherwise thorn/puncture proof gardening/work gloves.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

How big of a garden will you be taking care of and will you use them for yard work?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:I would add several of those foam garden kneelers to the list. We each use two at a time so we can kneel on one and move to the next one. We keep a few more for when we put then away where they don't belong.

If you buy a tiller, spend money and get a reversing tiller. Mine works me to death and I've read several posts here where people say they can run theirs with one hand. When mine dies, I'll get a nice one so my wife can till.

Don't scrimp on the wheel barrow either.

Buy a good hat too.
Yes to all. You may want a garden stool with wheels. I love my wagon, we use it for everything.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I don't think garden fork was mentioned. Absolutely essential. I am short and prefer D handled full length tools. . . .

Leather or otherwise thorn/puncture proof gardening/work gloves.
I am going to 2nd these from Applestar.

Within a few years of using a spading fork (I'm tall and prefer a long handled tool), I can get down to the full depth of the tines. Fertilizer can be spread on the bed before I start and worked in. I do NOT lift! I will sometimes push the handle all the way to the ground and that is more than sufficient.

Steve

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”