Newly Registered

Need plant I.D. please

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

WildcatNurseryman

Oakleaf Hydrangea- Hydrangea quercifolia

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

really? The oakleaf hydrangeas I am familiar with have conical flower clusters like this:

[img]https://www.archives.state.al.us/emblems/images/oakleafhy.jpg[/img]

I have one in my back yard.

WildcatNurseryman

I thought it looked like an unnamed straight Hydrangea Q.. They are a lot less showy than the named cultivars. I had some spring up from seed and they had a small little inconspicuous bloom like that first pic. I don't know for sure though one way or the other. One thing that IDing pics vs. the real thing makes difficult is dealing with scale. It looks like, now that I checked again, that those leafs are not very big.?. Sorry for the confusion on my part. I have been making too many mistakes lately, so I believe I will take a break. WORK IS GOING TO BE THE DEATH OF ME.

WildcatNurseryman

I looked at it one more time, and if the leaf has a felt-like feel it is a straight species Oakleaf Hydrangea. The reason the one that rainbow has in the backyard looks different is because it was chosen and named because of it's much showier bloom. Lacecaps are Hydrangea macrophylia, like 'Endless Summer', 'Blushing Bride', 'Bluebird' etc.. Rainbow has something like Hydrangea quercifolia 'Alice' or 'Snow-Queen' most likely. PS I'm still very tired. I used to like Spring a lot more.

Return to “Plant Identification”