Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

First offerings from the garden!

Well, the weather has been amazingly "favorable" for the cool crop, but the lettuce, onions and arugula are the first to offer themselves to the fresh garden salad:

Red Sails, Black Simpson and Majesty:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-77v8mhf/0/O/I-77v8mhf.jpg[/img]

Wild Italian Arugula:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-GbXgdwT/0/O/I-GbXgdwT.jpg[/img]

And adding some onions, New Big Dwarf tomato, Italian Parsley, and a salad for four:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-X6572dV/0/O/I-X6572dV.jpg[/img]

Happy gardening and many tasty treats of your home grown goodness this year!

Regards,
D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Very nice. You are ahead of me. The spinach and lettuce just barely came up.

applestar
Mod

Mine are still micro-greens. Looks great! :D

SPierce
Greener Thumb

yum! I just got my various greens out this past weekend; hopefully I'll have some on the table pretty soon too!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Jal - son enough, your garden will flourish too! Our spring is very very unseasonably warm this year, so I'm adopting...

Marlin - indeed, I love majesty! I've tried it first time about 3 years ago, and it is in the ground every season now. Slow to bolt, always crisp, and what a color!

Apple - next thing you know, they will be turning to full size in the matter of weeks :wink:

And speaking of micro-greens, here is my little patch (some packet I picked up at the Home Depot) and very happy that there is a good mix of colors :

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-2NPcJFd/0/O/I-2NPcJFd.jpg[/img]

Going to start another patch in a day or two, so there will be endless supply of greens through entire spring/early summer.

Happy gardening all!

Regards,
D

KeriFord

looks so pretty! bet they're tasty too. :)

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Your rocking it ..... wow I am so jealous... :lol:

rkunsaw

That looks good. Most of our garden isn't that far along. We are getting loads of asparagus now though. My wife will start canning some soon. A friend from England sent a recipe for asparagus soup that I'm anxious to try.

applestar
Mod

This morning, I had a salad of arugula and beet thinnings, claytonia, young radicchio and kale leaves, sweet potato leaves from slip shoot tips that needed to be trimmed so they don't get burned by the lights, and green onions. I added last year's ground cherries from the freezer for color and tomato substitute. Tuna salad and lemon juice instead of dressing plus a handful of raw pecan halves

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

last night's salad:

mostly chickweed I pulled off the aging compost pile when I dug that, with turkish rocket, good king henry, lovage, pea shoots, sorrel, parsley, mint, thyme, a single small volunteer lettuce, a small yacon left over from last year (diced), and a bit of cheese.

it's good to be that season again.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

The Asparagus is about all I am getting right now. The Arugula and Mizuna is going to seed my shallots and garlic look incredible this year its going to be a garlicky good year..

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Alright D_V good to see fresh food coming in.

Been eating salads for a month or so here. We are having Easter here. So I will be making a huge fresh salad with lettuce Arugula, chard, maybe some spinach. Oh yeah and fresh Tomaotes. :P

Duets

Wow, your salad, lettuce etc looks great. I'm not much for growing lettuce etc, may need to give it a try!! But I do grow most everything else, lol.

The neighborhood kids have already sampled the strawberries from like 15 plants .....they left me with one, lol

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”