conn96

How are my pumpkins looking?

Hi all,

This is my first time here on Helpful Gardener in a few years. I planted 4 pumpkins early just as a practice run. I'm going to plant my Halloween Pumpkins on June 21st (I live in Louisiana by the way). I planted two to a hole, sometime around Feb 20th I believe. I planted two Jack O' Lanterns and two Connecticut Fields. Both are doing nicely in my opinion with the exception of the leaves near the near the bottom of the plants (I'm assuming from lack of sunlight, because the larger leaves are shading them). Also, a few days ago, I noticed both plants are secreting small amounts of a white liquid in a few areas of the stem, that resembles saliva (I know, gross lol), what is this? As I said, I think they're doing nicely, but wanted some expert opinions. Thanks! :)

Connecticut Fields-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62053872@N05/7042933181/in/photostream

Jack O' Lanterns-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62053872@N05/7042933135/in/photostream

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

So far they look fine, so I was wondering why you don't plan to just leave these plants where they are. Unless you get a late cold snap they should do fine. I did notice some ivy, however that needs to go.

conn96

CharlieBear wrote:So far they look fine, so I was wondering why you don't plan to just leave these plants where they are. Unless you get a late cold snap they should do fine. I did notice some ivy, however that needs to go.
Are you saying they could survive until Halloween?

conn96

Come on, no new replies?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

What do you mean survive to Halloween. Pumpkins can grow for a very long time especially the latter ones to set. Late year the pumpkin growers here still had green pumpkins in October, so it depends on the year. In the pacific NW we are about to plant pumpkins in the next 2-3 weeks and some of us have them started in pots already a week or two ago, but will wait to put them out until May 1 just incase we get a surprise frost since our spring is cooler than average this year. A ripe pumpkin willl hold for months if you knock the dirt off and store in a cool dry place.
Best of luck

conn96

If I leave them on the vine until October, will they survive?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”