SuzieMac
Newly Registered

My ephedra is taking over!

About 8 years ago, we removed most of our front lawn and xeriscaped our front yard. We planted two ephedra (also called mormon tea or bluestem joint fir). They are doing so well that they are becoming invasive. They send shoots under the ground and pop up all over the place.

We are wondering what the best way to control these plants might be. They are very attractive and we like them. We're going to try to dig some big trenches and put in metal barriers. Any other suggestions? We're also trying to figure out how to get rid of the little ones that are popping up.

I have looked all over the internet and there's nothing about these becoming invasive. They are recommended on the Colorado State Extension web site as a great plant for xeriscaping.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Suzie Mac in Denver

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Although I lived in Denver I never used it however it could be construed as a form of sagebrush in some climates. I am not certain but I doubt it is invasive through its roots more then likely through it's seeding although there are male and female plants, you've never seen wild grape roots, so if all else fails use Roundup, if you cannot do it organically.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”