md
Newly Registered

Starting Seeds - Onions...help please!!!

I've started a number of seeds this year for the first time in my basement with heat mats & grow lamps. Everything has done great except the onions - they germinated and were growing well until they reached about 4". Now the tops have fallen over. Are they dead? Any advice for my next try??

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like they are dead, if they are they will no longer be green. Anyway, invest in a good grow light. You can buy cheap apparati that will clamp onto any sort of railing, etc.

Be sure to harden the plants off by placing them outside during the day and taking them in at night before planting them outside. Do this for about a week.

md
Newly Registered

Hi! Actually since my last post I read to try cutting them back - trimmed them back to ~3" tall - they are still green and doing quite well. They have been under florescent lamps the whole time. I actually think cutting them helped so I have hope!!!

Other then that I have sage (looking great!), multiple varieties of tomatoes, a couple types of basil, chamomile, rosemary, lemon mint, Mint and oregano. Everything is doing well, I will probably start hardening off in 2 weeks (last frost in my zone is late April). Looking forward to starting peppers soon.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Have fun!

Adam Fletcher
Newly Registered

To give them an extra boost you may want to feed them with a general feed when you plant them outdoors.

This will help them stay super healthy and will give them an extra boost. :)

Onions are pretty easy to grow so you should have no real problems.

Hope that Helps!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”