RogueRose
Green Thumb

Herbs not coming up?

Well I'll be the first to admit that I'm impatient. :P

I planted a bunch of herbpots about two weeks ago and so far nothing is coming up....I dunno if they're just being slow or maybe I planted too soon or if I messed up. My lettuces and peas took about 2 weeks to come up, but now they're coming up and growing nicely.

Here are the herb pots:
[img]https://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/49515/2186270530062041520S500x500Q85.jpg[/img]

I used potting soil...mixed in a little bit of bonemeal and Jobe's with the soil. I water it to keep to keep it moist, but so far nada. Did I maybe jump the gun in starting them? Will they come up eventually? Should I bring them inside?

applestar
Mod

What herbs were they? Lettuce and peas re particularly capable of germinating in the cold but even for them two weeks is not unusual outside.

Now that we seem to be getting more "normal" temperstures for this time of the year, they will be reluctant to germinate.

Depending on what they are, they may be better off at at least room temperature, but remember that in the sun it gets much warmer.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:What herbs were they? Lettuce and peas re particularly capable of germinating in the cold but even for them two weeks is not unusual outside.

Now that we seem to be getting more "normal" temperstures for this time of the year, they will be reluctant to germinate.

Depending on what they are, they may be better off at at least room temperature, but remember that in the sun it gets much warmer.
Pretty much all cilantro and basil. Some chives too. I have a "sun room" that I use as my greenhouse that I start all my seeds in so I can just bring them into there til it gets warmer.

Thanks for your help !

lily51
Greener Thumb

Soil temp is important to seed germination. Don't know what NJ has been like, but even if you've had some warm spells the soil may be just too cool for some herbs that like warmth.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

lily51 wrote:Soil temp is important to seed germination. Don't know what NJ has been like, but even if you've had some warm spells the soil may be just too cool for some herbs that like warmth.
I just took the soil temp this evening The pots were 59 and the ground is 58.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Probably a bit cool. I would say 65-70degrees F. And then once up, basil is very tender and can't take a frost at all. Maybe move pots indoors until weather gets more stable? At least at night when it gets quite cool out.
I love basil and start/plant lots and many varieties. I just have to resist setting it out too soon...Ohio weather can't be trusted! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I start my basil indoors on heat mat. It needs soil temperature of 70 degrees for germination. At that temperature, it sprouts in 3 days.

If the basil hasn't sprouted in two weeks, you may need to start over. The trouble with sitting in cool moist soil is that while it is waiting to germinate, it can just rot out.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Agree with starting indoors on a heat mat. It is still too cold on the upper east coast for outside planting with evenings in the mid 40's and only mid 60's during the day.

I would retry indoors and wait until the end of April to harden and put outdoors. :)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”