barbelle

Yellow tomato leaves and spots, help!

Hi, I am a newer gardener and I am having some tomato and a little pepper problems. On the tomatoes there are yellow leaves with spots and it is looking pretty bad. I am not sure if it is a lack of nutrients or a disease. The peppers are looking a little on the pale side, but no significant problems. I purchased the soil mix from a place called Living Earth. I was able to purchase a half compost, half soil combo for a really great price! I was hoping a few of you would be able to tell if my plants are deficient in nutrients or if they are sick. I really hope they are not sick :? I have another raised bed that is filled with a Miracle Grow Potting Mix and the plants are doing great. Filling out nicely with rich green leaves.

Not sure how o upload a pic so here is a link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1124753768 ... arch262012

Please help!!

mtmickey

Your link does not work. Be sure the picture is public. To directly post a picture from picasa, choose the picture you want then on the right hand side click on "link to this photo." Below that a couple of options will pop up. Click on the little check box that says "Image only," above that, choose your size (thumbnail, small, medium, large), then copy the code under "embed this image." In helpful gardener, click on the IMG link (when you are posting a reply) and then paste in the code you copied. Hope this helps

barbelle

Last edited by barbelle on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barbelle

Thanks mtmickey!!! New to actual posting too. Mostly just read for information.

That was simpler than I thought:)
Last edited by barbelle on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mtmickey

No problem...you forgot the image tags though. The third link isn't working.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I'm guessing it's nutrient deficiency.....especially if the tomato plant stalks are purple.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

These are very sick looking plants.

First, I agree, there is definitely nutrient deficiency here, stems and branches are "grey/purple"...

Leafs, take a look at this page:

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/tomatoproblemsolver/leaf/

While it is a little difficult to tell from your pictures (a bit too small), I think you can probably determine a little better yourself by looking at the pictures in that page...

Good luck!

Regards,
D

barbelle

Ugh...

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions where to head from here? Start over, rip them out?

Any advice would be appreciated!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

You can try clipping off all those yellowing/brown/ugly leaves. But it looks like your plants don't have many leaves. What I would do is clip maybe half and hope new healthy leaves come out and then clip more bad ones gradually. But I see some flowers on your tomato you might might have to clip that off so that plant can focus on some leaf growth. And you would need to add some nutrients to the plant to help it out.

If this seems like more hassle than it is worth you probably should replace it. But I would try cause your plant already has a good root system in place. It could rebound if you do the right things right away.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”