Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Getting ready for the frost!

I knew when I planted all the cool weather crops "too early", I would be facing the frost at least few times in the next month. Well, it's coming! Day temperatures are fine, but tonight 31 (which means I'm getting 27 or so), 38 tomorrow (34 for us)...

Glad I planned accordingly (and hope those who always jumps early did too)

First in-ground tomato has been flowering since last week:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-H8RDD3H/0/O/I-H8RDD3H.jpg[/img]

Now covered in 3 layers of frost blanket, and a string of Christmas lights wrapped around the cage:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-FxmvbzF/0/O/I-FxmvbzF.jpg[/img]

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-hxmGMvZ/0/O/I-hxmGMvZ.jpg[/img]

Lettuces, chard, radicchio, cress, arugula:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-hqDd5zt/0/O/I-hqDd5zt.jpg[/img]

Now covered:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-JbFJ4z3/0/O/I-JbFJ4z3.jpg[/img]

Radishes, mixed baby lettuce (under the mini dome), chard, onions and kohlrabi:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-2GzHmH4/0/O/I-2GzHmH4.jpg[/img]

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-CLDFDdQ/0/O/I-CLDFDdQ.jpg[/img]

So there we have it. Very easy to uncover if needed, but will likely keep the covers on for a week or so, until the weather settles a little more. Plus keeping the bugs out in a way...

Regards,
D

P.S. I know, I need to cut grass (again), after couple of days of rain and 75F weather, it just exploded!

brandon558
Cool Member

looks like you should be good to go!

Glad ive held back a few days, now I'm wondering if I should wait another week or two.

Although its only going to get down to low 40s here and back into the 70s wednesday.

Good luck!

KeriFord

good luck! They look ready to go! (also, that is so cool. I need more garden thingies)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Good job. In Pa. tonight 25 degrees after 3 weeks of 50 to 80 days and nights. Peach trees may get hit bad. I only put in cold weather crops out since we have 45 more days till frost ends! Gren house is great with lots of seelings!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

They are still forecasting nothing colder than 45 degrees between now and April 4th. Still holding my breath. Will plant one or two more tomato plants in the ground tomorrow. The 2-3 foot high plants are just getting too big for their 3 gallon containers! I've got lots of small tomatoes on a dozen or so plants. The rest of the plants were seeded much later and will easily wait another few weeks.

tremuloides

D,

WOW....I am certainly impressed with your setup!

I am in Colorado and will be doing raised beds this year. Still looking into how to do them as I have never done them before. Essentially this will be my first attempt at gardening since I was a kid.

Starting my flower seeds in a couple of days indoors for a 15 May plant in the ground date.

I love your garden!!!!

lily51
Greener Thumb

Ditto on the wow :) great set up . Looks like you're prepared.
Calling for a freeze here. Garden not in yet ,so I just covered all the tulips, many of which are in full bloom...unheard of for March around here.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

What a treat to finally see the garden that gives birth to all of those beautiful tomatoes, Duh Vinci! I hope everything survived. I will be extremely surprised if everything didn't, given the care taken with covering. IMO, you are set for as low as 25.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good luck buddy. I'm sure you will be fine. Looks like you have everything in order. More than I would have done.

You can send your stuff here it's gonna be 80 today. Weather man keeps hinting that the cold isn't over though. Hard to belive since this is 2-3 weeks of around 80's

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looks great, but I think the tomato was the only one that needed it, unless the other stuff was new transplants that hadn't been outside that long. They call them cold weather crops for a reason, they are very hardy and frost tolerant. All the lettuce, chard etc would have been fine uncovered. I have broccoli, spinach, chard, lettuce, onions and garlic in my garden that were planted last fall, went through the whole winter uncovered (it was a milder winter than usual, but we did have a few nights down in the teens) and are thriving now.

applestar
Mod

I woke around 4AM, checked the temp and it was 31° as predicted, but when I reviewed the forecasts, realized It was too soon to be be relieved as they were still calling for 28 at 8AM (which to my lay-person thinking seemed odd since sun would have been up for an hour by then) but I jumped up to check the thermometer when I woke at 8am and it DID go down some more to 30° in my garden. Whew! Nowehere near the predicted 28° nor adjusted 25°.

I still have to do my rounds (with a hoe that's too long to lean on :wink:) but I think we're OK.

Hope your garden came through, too, DV.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Hope your garden managed- it's 27 degrees here! :shock: I was going to start hardening off my squashes, brussels sprouts, etc. this week but decided to hold off due to the temps. Here's hoping it warms up again soon for us both!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

"I woke around 4AM, checked the temp and it was 31° as predicted, but when I reviewed the forecasts, realized It was too soon to be be relieved as they were still calling for 28 at 8AM (which to my lay-person thinking seemed odd since sun would have been up for an hour by then)"

It is kind of an interesting phenomenon. Early in the morning, if the dew point is reached, dew forms. When moving from a gas to a liquid, water must release heat, therefore the temperature is moderated. Later in the morning, after the temperature rises above the dew point but before the sun has gotten too intense, the dew begins to evaporate. So now it takes the heat of vaporization back, pulling the surrounding temperature down and allow radiant cooling to continue. The interaction of these processes often leads to a nightly low taking place a couple of hours later than a person would have thought would be the case.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

nice. thanks for the mini-physics lesson, alex!

looks like it only hit about 40 here. if the forecasts stay the same, I'll be starting to plant frost-sensitive stuff next week, I think.

clutchrider

I got the soil all set, but didn't plant any seeds for fear of this weather. Plus I'm not around next week to tend it so I am gonna wait another week or two before I plant the lettuce and onions. At least the soil will have a chance to breathe and settle a bit after the tilling. Maybe I'll spike down some plastic edging to keep the grass from creeping in in the interim.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Well put, Alex. But...

The dews were low here last night (single digits in some places), so it wasn't necessarily a function of evaporational cooling. I think the primary factor was that winds were a little stronger during the early part of the overnight, which didn't allow for much radiational cooling - instead the atmosphere was mixing. As the winds relaxed, the heat really started heading up and out, until the sun got high enough that the temps stopped dropping/started coming back up.

:D

We got down to 31/32 in my area. But I don't have anything out except fall-planted garilc and some onions I potted the other day, so I'd have been fine if the temps had *really* dropped!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Did I "over do it"? Probably, just so many of my really new, just few days old seedlings are sharing the same bed with the others, and frames already built it, so I cover...

Everything is fine and dandy, tomato did really well in 28F, will be covering for the next few nights, but after that, looks like we are free of frost...

Regards,
D

EDIT: On the other hand, every volunteer tomato seedlings didn't make it, not that I was expecting them to, but just came back from the garden... Nor that I "need" anymore seedlings :roll:

mattie g
Green Thumb

I wouldn't get too over-confident, Duh_Vinci. We won't have a good grasp as to whether we'll have a late frost for *at least* another 10 days. In fact, long-term models are showing a cold shot in the second full week of April. Now...that may or may not come to fruition, but it certainly isn't out of the question.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”